Food Science Lab Manager
Operations | Bend, OR | Full Time
As one of the nation’s fastest growing kombucha companies, Humm Kombucha is on a quest to put the goodness of Humm in the hands of as many people as possible.
We are hiring a Lab Manager!
What You’ll Be Doing:
In this role, you’ll oversee the day to day operations of the Humm Lab, all of its functions and staff. The lab supports Operations, Product Development, Quality Assurance, and R&D teams by managing testing schedules, and validating the food safety and identification of the products we make. The lab manager is responsible for maintaining document integrity through review, updates, and application of lab SOP’s. Responsible for monitoring and auditing lab methods to ensure operation procedures, standards, and regulatory compliance are being met and validated.
What’s Required for Consideration:
- BS Microbiology/Food Science or similar is required; Master’s degree is definitely preferred.
- 7 + years’ experience managing a QA/QC lab, while managing the lab tech team, in a food manufacturing environment is required.
- Experience in supporting Product development in terms of shelf stability, formulation and process validation.
- Field experience with Fermentation, yeast and bacterial cultures, Culture propagation and long-term storage is preferred.
- Strong leadership and project management skills that can effectively drive complex projects.
- Proven ability to lead, motivate, and direct teams.
- In depth knowledge of industry standard for validating internal and external lab facilities and processes used to measure, rate or quantify our product.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills to interpret complex data and distil into meaningful information.
- Understands and can communicate regulatory procedures.
- Have computer knowledge and understanding of Document, spreadsheet, and regulatory programs.
- Proven and referenceable success working within small and large teams to achieve company goals.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strategic thinker with the ability to evaluate, and construct productive team driven solutions.
- Flexibility and possessing an optimistic positive attitude are required to thrive at Humm.
- Ability to work independently or with other departments to achieve a goal or solution
- Self-driven and motivated.
- Experience in wet chemistry methods along with microscopy, spectroscopy, enzymatic assays, GC and LC chromatographic systems and knowledge of IR systems.
- Ability and understanding of operating lab equipment
- Understanding or ability to learn basic operations of manufacturing equipment as they affect Quality Assurance.
- Excitement about Humm Kombucha and Being a Part of the Win!
Working for Humm Kombucha:
At Humm, every position and person is equally valued. We’re all in this together, and there is an overwhelming sentiment that every Humm-ster feels in which they know that their job is as important as any other job in the company. Everyone shares in each success, and everyone learns from every failure. Many new positions are filled from within the company, fostering a sense of continuity and opportunity. The engine that drives Humm is the Humm-sters, a diverse and dedicated group of professionals who handle every aspect of the company, from brewing and bottling to sales and finance. From its inception, Humm has cultivated a culture of appreciation, respect, love and joy. Humm-sters embody and nurture these qualities as they not only define the culture, but nourish it on a daily basis just as they nourish what our customers love inside our bottle. Being a Humm-ster means being a part of something wonderful, and something that couldn’t exist without each and every person on our team.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume with a cover letter to the hiring team. In your cover letter, please describe why you’re interested in working with Humm Kombucha in particular. In this letter please also address how you meet each of our listed qualifications (What's Required for the Role).
Standard introductions are highly discouraged!