Cell R&D Research Associate
Operations, Product Development | Research Triangle Park, NC | Full Time
Humacyte's mission is to become the leading company in novel, off-the-shelf extracellular matrix tissue products, and especially those that could provide lifesaving improvements in treatments for vascular conditions.
Humacyte, Inc., a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative, award winning human biotherapies. We are currently developing multiple vascular tissue engineered therapies and expanding our business model. With a broad pipeline of potential new therapy applications, we continue to build our organization and scientific teams.
- Responsible for culture of primary human cells for purposes of cell expansion, characterization, and tissue engineering
- Receive and process human donor tissue for primary cell isolation
- Perform sterile cell culture and cell-based assays, as well as media and buffer preparation using Good Laboratory Practice
- Verify process data, protocols, and manage supporting documents
- Additional duties will include support of routine lab activities, equipment management, lab maintenance, preparation of experimental materials and protocols, and ensuring good documentation practices for all activities performed
- Schedule flexibility required for some occasional cell culture activities needed outside of standard weekday business hours (e.g. weekend cell culture maintenance activities)
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific area plus 2‐3 years related work experience; or Master’s degree in a relevant scientific area; work experience consistent with the anticipated responsibilities detailed above.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, preferably primary cell culture. Specific skills include cell growth and maintenance, cryopreservation, assaying cell viability and cell functions.
- Outstanding sterile technique is required
- Able to design and troubleshoot cell culture process optimization studies
- Familiarity with primary cell isolation procedures a plus
- Familiar with applications of statistics to standard measurements of biological systems
- Basic knowledge of RNA, DNA, and protein isolation methods
- Experience with flow cytometry and immunostaining a plus
- Knowledge in use and maintenance of common laboratory equipment
- Experience authoring Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and/or protocols
- Background in one or more specialties: cell biology, molecular biology, cell technology, biomedical engineering, cell therapy, tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, bioprocessing, and process development.
- Demonstrated proficient skills in standard mammalian cell culture methods and associated aseptic technique within a R&D environment
- Process Knowledge:
- Possess firm understanding of typical cell culture lab equipment and procedures; can identify potential problems before they occur
- Skilled in cell culture and bioprocessing – integration of major unit operations and microbial control concepts
- Problem Solving:
- Can design, execute, and interpret data from targeted experiments with little supervision
- Effectively communicates high level concepts to both executive and scientific leadership
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Clearly communicates scientific and process issues in a timely manner with co-workers and supervisor
- Relevant pharma or biotech industry experience a plus
- Stock Options
- 401k Plan with Matching
- Medical, Vision and Dental Plans
- Long Term/Short Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- 3 Weeks’ Vacation
- 5 Personal Floating Days
- 8 Sick Days
- 6 Company Holidays
- Career Development and Training