Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (GMEL) Manager
Global Impact | Raleigh, NC | Full Time
POSITION TITLE: Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (GMEL) Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Global Impact
Rise Against Hunger(RAH) is an international non-governmental organization that is driven by a vision to end world hunger in our lifetime. Rise Against Hunger coordinates efforts to bring food and other lifesaving aid to food insecure communities. The organization has a long history in Aid Distribution work through its meal packaging program, bringing dehydrated, high protein, and highly nutritious meals to crisis situations and school feeding programs in the developing world. RAH has a growing portfolio of programs aimed at eliminating chronic hunger and malnutrition around the world through sustainable community development that addresses the drivers of food insecurity.
Rise Against Hunger as an organization is committed to a strategy for growth in our impact in the upcoming years in the areas of crisis, resilience, and food security. The Global Impact team at RAH is currently engaged in advancing the conceptual framework for impact and building the evidence base for both internal and external tracking and learning to better inform sustainable international development and crisis response programming.
The Global Impact team is now recruiting for a Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (GMEL) Manager who will spend the majority of their time providing monitoring, evaluation, learning and research leadership; and technical expertise to our Pathways the End Hunger initiatives and efforts at Rise Against Hunger. This include generating learnings from current and past projects to inform new opportunities, ensuring that all project designs are evidenced-based and underpinned by theories of change, and designing innovative monitoring, evaluation and learning plans for projects. This position will also spend time to support our Impact Partners by strengthening their M&E capacity in their programming. Additionally, the GMEL Manager will be responsible for data wrangling, making existing, information more accessible through summary stats, frequencies, and visualizations.
The GMEL Manager will be an integral member of the Global Impact team and will report to the Director of Global Impact.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Lead the thought leadership on the direction of monitoring, evaluation, learning and research at Rise Against Hunger.
- Ensure that all program designs are underpinned by evidence and high quality theories of change.
- Assess data needs for new opportunities and in conjunction with other Pathways to End Hunger Portfolio Managers, this includes a data collection and/or analysis in each project plan, ensuring necessary data inform the theory of change.
- Review scopes of work and tools for internal or external data collection process.
- Conduct analyses and compile reports using existing project data and secondary data sources to provide evidence- based recommendations to inform programming.
- Collaborate with subject area portfolio managers to set indicators targets, informed by portfolio programming.
- Oversee both semi-annual and annual data quality assessments
- Participate in program assessments (baselines, mid-lines and end-lines).
- Keep-up to date with and share learnings about state of the art monitoring, evaluation, learning and research approaches tied to emerging trends.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A Bachelor's degree in relevant field including International studies with three years of experience required.
- A robust and diverse set of research skills, including qualitative (interviews, focus groups, and observation) quantitative (descriptive and inferential statistics), action research and participatory methods;
- Strong analytical skills, with expert knowledge of common statistical software packages (e.g.SPSS, SAS, STATA, EPI Info);
- Utilizing some confidence with Excel and visualization software is required, as well as general software savvy.
- Experience in developing monitoring and evaluating frameworks of food security and emergency relief programs in developing countries, with a strong preference for work experience in developing countries;
- In depth experience in program design, implementation and evaluation of development or emergency relief and response experience preferred.
- Extensive experience managing multi-site projects and the M&E of multi-country initiatives;
- Excellent communication and writing skills and the ability to document clearly and succinctly for internal and external partners; Public speaking and presentation skills.
Competencies- Skills (Preferred)
- A Master's-level degree in relevant field including International development, public health, food policy, applied agricultural economics, nutrition, and/or international development studies.
- Experience working on USAID, USDA, DFID or other donor foundations/programs preferred;
- Experience working abroad on community development, food aid, and sustainable agriculture.
- Strong cultural awareness and experience working in various cultures.
- Bilingual English / Spanish, English / French or English/ Portuguese preferred.
- Above average skills with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, database, data management and internet utilities.
- Knowledge and understanding of global hunger, its causes and efforts to eradicate it.
- Familiarity and experience with real-time management information systems and knowledge management platforms; Information Systems, data management, or GIS background is helpful.
This Position will be based in Raleigh, North Carolina with the Ability to travel 20-25% of time.
*While the Organization has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, the Organization reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of the Organization, at any time, with or without advance notice.