Chief Financial Officer
Financial Stewardship | Raleigh, NC | Full Time
Rise Against Hunger is an international hunger relief organization that is driven by the vision of a world without hunger. Since 1998, the organization has coordinated the distribution of food and lifesaving aid to the world’s most vulnerable in countries all over the world. The organization’s mission is to build awareness and drive a global commitment to ending hunger by 2030.
The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for directing the financial stewardship department and fiscal functions of Rise Against Hunger in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles set forth by various regulatory and advisory organizations. This person will fill a strategic role in the management team and will provide both operational and programmatic support to the organization. The CFO will provide leadership to the finance, human resources, and technologies departments.
Reports to: President & CEO
Accountability and Responsibilities:
- As a strategic partner with the CEO and Senior Management Team, bring strategic, visionary, collaborative thinking to the organization and the finance, human resources, and technologies departments.
- Develop and implement innovative, financially sound strategic initiatives to support Rise Against Hunger’s mission, goals and objectives
- Provide strategic as well as operating leadership as it pertains to the definition and achievement of the annual budget, forecasts and strategic plan
- Develop and facilitate a comprehensive institutional budgeting strategy and multi-year budget that involves relevant stakeholders, including Board of Directors, Senior Management, Directors, and international affiliates
- Establish a program performance budget and provide recommendations for meaningful measurements
- Provide guidance to the organization using comprehensive knowledge of federally recognized examination procedures to evaluate compliance with laws and regulations
- Recommend appropriate, effective financial policies for consideration by the Board of Directors
- Stay abreast of new trends in the international non-governmental organization financial industry by attending conferences, participating in professional development and sharing this information with the senior management team and the board
- Plan, direct, organize, evaluate and oversee all aspects of the finance, accounting and budgeting functions of the organization
- Provide leadership and continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives
- Manage processes to ensure delivery of accurate and timely financial data for effective analysis and business decision-making; financial forecasting; and reporting to the organization
- Develop and maintain local accounting policies, practices and financial control systems
- Facilitate organizational risk assessment and manage risk mitigation
- Understand key budget drivers and monitor impact on current and future budgets
- Manage cash, investments, and liabilities
- Coordinate internal and external audits and/or arrange external studies to determine compliance with established policies
- Ensure that record keeping (including all contractractual documents) meets requirements of auditors and government agencies
Lead, Manage, Hold Accountability
- Drive a culture of success built on collective performance and personal accountability, with a commitment to working collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Monitor and analyze organizational performance against financial goals
- Analyze financial data and program outcomes against performance goals
- Direct the financial stewardship department and fiscal functions of Rise Against Hunger in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and scale the department according to organizational needs
- Approve expenditures, such as wire transfers and checks, to the limits specified.
- Propose and implement improvements to budgeting and financial systems.
Necessary Attributes and Skills:
- Passion for Rise Against Hunger’s mission to end hunger
- A servant leader with demonstrated ability
- Previous success in recruiting, training, motivating and managing a best-in-class finance team
- Ability to anticipate, identify, and resolve complex financial issues
- Technical knowledge including: Extensive US GAAP, International accounting standards, non-profit fund accounting, auditing and compliance standards for public funding, accounting IT systems
- Ability to effectively present information to Board of Directors, senior executives and people at all levels and disciplines within the organization
- Demonstrated experience in devising and implementing a robust finance infrastructure
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of situations requiring judgment and poise
- Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills at an Executive level
- Proven leadership skills; comfortable with a high level of visibility, responsibility and accountability
- Experience at working with external auditors, compliance and regulatory oversight
- Strategic mindset
- Drives vision and purpose
- Organizational savvy
- Manages complexity
- Ensures accountability
- Manages conflict
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience
- Minimum of 4 years of direct management experience
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations highly preferred
- Familiarity with Salesforce.com and NetSuite preferred
Salary: based on location and experience.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
Rise Against Hunger is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a workplace without discrimination and harassment of any kind. All candidates will receive equal consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status.
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER ON OUR WEBSITE