Vice President Cultivation
Cultivation | Brookline, MA | Full Time
At Holistic Industries, our mission is to provide patients with the highest quality, safest cannabis medicine possible. As our name suggests, we care for the whole person. Our company develops and offers a wide range of proprietary strains that increase desired cannabinoids such as CBD. These high CBD strains have become our foundation for growing, packaging, and selling the best cannabis in our markets. Our team includes the nation’s most knowledgeable experts in cultivation and medical dispensing, along with professionals who are top of their fields in medical professions, security, agriculture, real estate, and the legal distribution of other highly controlled substances.
Our well-established company is growing rapidly and adding to our team of professionals and specialists. Our employees receive medical, dental, and leave benefits as part of our highly competitive compensation package. Join us as we build a great place to work, shop, and invest.
Holistic Industries is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
About the Job:
This executive-level position will implement, oversee and integrate agricultural best-practices and technology for craft cannabis cultivation across all Holistic Industries Grow facilities. The VP of Cultivation will lead local cultivation team efforts in the cultivation facilities; ensuring that all processes, training requirements, schedules, policies and procedures are followed, and that established cultivation production goals for strong, healthy, plants and development of multiple strains are met.
- Utilizing a continuous improvement and production oriented mindset, leads the research into the best methods to improve controlled environment agricultural manufacturing operations of our multi-state cultivation centers and oversees all aspects of crop growing and production including quality, health, productivity, yield and cultivar diversity.
- Develop methods to monitor and measure department activity to identify areas of success and areas of opportunity to control production efficiency, manufacturing variances, material waste, labor expense and other indicators of profitability.
- Work closely with the respective regional leadership to coordinate, communicate and deliver on inventory, production, and product mix goals; incorporates new and updated products. Reviews current systems for operational efficiency and researches and develops a series of experiments in order to improve companys use of controlled environment agricultural technology and product developments in the cannabis industry and related industries.
- Drive consistency across all operations including materials, procedures, and staff training.
- Refine procedures and protocols based on best crop management practices.
- Develop and implement plans for the optimal infrastructure of agricultural systems, processes, product development and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of our organization.
- Prepare and analyze facility data to enable future improvements.
- Identify and implement ways to maximize use of capital and effectively deploy operating expenses through design, process, technology, or other improvements.
- Troubleshoot plant health issues, identify root cause, and assist with implementation of corrective action and communication with staff.
- Identify and implement ways to improve quality, yield, and decrease microbial contamination.
- Lead and collaborate on capital planning and execution for cultivation to enable the company to meet growth and market share objectives.
- Ensure that all cultivation activities are carried out in a safe and effective manner.
- Partner with Processing to deliver product innovation to our customers.
- Partner with Food Safety & Quality Assurance to maintain the highest possible ratings at our facilities.
- Partner with sales leaders, culinary and technical services to support customer needs including maintaining a high level of urgency for problem solving.
- Provide consistent cultivation status reporting, verbal and written, to executive leadership.
- Frequent travel for facility inspections, media events and investor meetings as needed.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within cultivation.
- Motivate, lead and retain a high-performance cultivation team.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to support the mission and core values of the company.
- Regularly communicate one-on-one and conduct weekly cultivation team meetings to communicate status and directives to local cultivation teams.
- Identify and execute on training needs regarding cultivation operations.
- Due to state regulations, qualified candidates for this position must be at least 21 years of age and able to pass a fingerprinting background and drug screening– certain criminal convictions may disqualify candidates based on state medical marijuana licensing regulations.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, agriculture or related field. Advanced degree strongly preferred in Agronomy and Soil Sciences, Horticulture, Plant Pathology, or Crop Sciences.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing product, staff and resources in a large scale commercial greenhouse or agricultural operation at the senior level.
- Previous commercial cannabis growing experience preferred.
- Expert knowledge of plant diseases, insects, and fungi, as well as plant treatment options.
- Sound technical understanding in growing plants as impacted by environmental conditions, nutritional profile, seasonal changes and cleanliness. Proven experience in managing multi crops and cultivar production is required.
- Sound understanding of the financial principles applicable to effective planning, cost control and budgeting of the crop growth operation.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve manufacturing objectives in terms of volume, product mix, cost and quality.
- Extensive knowledge in environment, health and safety standards in agricultural operations required.
- Knowledge of food safety, security and GMP guidelines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with connected growing technology
- Familiarity with cultivation monitoring systems
Required Knowledge and Skills
- In depth working knowledge of cannabis plant symptom diagnosis, causality and remedy applications.
- Committed to supporting and ensuring a positive work environment
- Deep experience in budgeting and fiscal management
- Experience in introducing organizational innovation and change
- Past management experience of diverse activities with a large group of employees across multiple locations
- Experience with quality programs and data-driven business evaluation.
- Food processing industry and/or agricultural commodities experience is helpful.
- Experience effectively implementing and utilizing information systems that create operational efficiencies and better information is highly valued
- Experience with creating, documenting and controlling system-wide operational processes including Lean Manufacturing best practices
- Working knowledge of traceability programs: Metrc, Biotrack, and MJ Freeway, or other agricultural industry inventory control systems.
- Experience developing and enforcing SOP's for implementation in new and existing cultivation facilities
- Practical, engaged, relational, proactive, hands-on, detail-oriented, and able to foster collaboration through teamwork and a sense of urgency
- Creative problem solver and a thought partner with strong analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Honesty, integrity, and fairness.
Must be able to lift, carry and balance up to 75 pounds (125 pounds with assistance), may include walking or standing for extended periods of time, as well as stooping, bending over and/or crouching. Moderate to loud exposure to noise level. Warehouse environment with artificial light. Extensive travel by car, train, and/or airplane.