K12 Product Development | Arlington, VA
Naviance is a leader in providing solutions that help schools and school districts prepare every student to graduate from high school ready for success in college, career, and life. As the K-12 division of Hobsons, a unit of the Daily Mail & General Trust plc, Naviance combines the resources of a multi-billion dollar global corporation with the soul of a start-up. We serve more than 100,000 educators in 47 states and 72 countries, helping more than 4 million current students achieve their academic and career objectives. We're looking for energetic, creative, and ambitious professionals who are seeking exciting opportunities for extraordinary growth.
Naviance is a rapidly growing SaaS product that helps counselors, teachers, parents and students work together to achieve student success. As we continue to grow, we need more than ever to thoroughly understand how our customers currently use our tools, what needs are unmet, and how we can improve. Our User Researcher will be responsible for evaluating the complete user experience for our products through focus groups, user testing, online tools, metrics and other techniques. You will use your findings to make recommendations to our product development team.
This is a new position at our company, so we are looking for an experienced researcher who can recommend and implement the tools and strategies needed to conduct effective, actionable user research. You will work closely with Product Management and Product Development to shape our product. You must be self-motivated and able to work both independently and in conjunction with team members and product groups.
- Interact with customers and product managers to help identify usability issues
- Define and evolve the evaluation methodologies used to test products
- Run usability tests, conduct interviews and site visits, organize surveys, and perform other usability assessments
- Conduct user field research to understand target segments and refine representative user personas
- Help the team interpret and understand user feedback, and provide input for design decisions based on that feedback
- Prepare and present research reports and recommendations based on findings
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Mastery of usability research methods
- Strong experience designing, conducting, and analyzing product usability studies
- 3+ years of demonstrated user testing and research experience for commercial products and/or services
- Experience conducting field studies, developing user personas based on user interviews, and conducting product focus groups
- Enthusiasm and flexibility to work on a variety of projects and balance needs of concurrent projects
- Ability to rapidly acquire new domain familiarity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Education: BA/BS or MA/MS in Human Factors, Cognitive or Behavioral Science, Human Computer Interaction, Human Centered Design, Information Systems, related discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience evaluating mobile applications, mobile web sites, or small screen applications a plus
- Willingness to travel to school sites
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
We are a hard-working, fun-loving office, and we’re looking for the right fit—someone with great communication skills and a solid work ethic who picks up skills quickly.
Naviance offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including:
- Health Insurance
- Life & Disability Insurance
- Dental Plan
- 401K Plan
- Metro SmartBenefits (pre-tax option)
- Generous Paid Time Off Program
We have a corporate commitment to education and actively participate in charity work to support schools locally and abroad. Through our work with PLAN (www.planusa.org), our staff joins in an annual campaign to improve education in developing nations. In the past three years, groups of employees from Naviance and our corporate parent, Hobsons, have traveled to Ghana, Bolivia, and Vietnam to build educational facilities.
To learn more about Naviance, please visit our corporate Web site at
Résumés without cover letters will not be considered.
EEO / M / F / D / V