User Experience Designer
K12 Product Development | Arlington, VA
Naviance is a leader in providing solutions that help schools and school districts prepare every student to graduate from high school ready for success in college, career, and life. As the K-12 division of Hobsons, a unit of the Daily Mail & General Trust plc, Naviance combines the resources of a multi-billion dollar global corporation with the soul of a start-up. We serve more than 100,000 educators in 47 states and 72 countries, helping more than 4 million current students achieve their academic and career objectives. We're looking for energetic, creative, and ambitious professionals who are seeking exciting opportunities for extraordinary growth.
User Experience Designer
Naviance is looking for an innovative, thoughtful designer who can translate complex problems into effective UI solutions. The UX Designer will participate in discussions with stakeholders and customers, and design creative and modern interfaces that meet their needs in an elegant way. Our ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator with a mix of left and right brain skills.
- Interact with customers and product managers to help identify usability issues
- Develop creative UI solutions that simplify complex workflows and address customer needs
- Work with the UX team to refine concepts, create prototypes, and conduct usability testing
- Present design concepts and solutions in a clear and effective manner
- Enhance the discussion of design focused thought and trends
- Collaborate effectively with team members and throughout the organization
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 3-5 years of professional experience designing web applications
- Comfortable with all parts of the user-centered design process including personas, wireframes, information architecture diagrams, screen designs, interaction designs, interactive demos and UI specifications
- Excellent listening, oral and written communications skills
- Experience conducting or participating in user interviews or usability testing
- Deep understanding of best practices in interaction design
- Experience using innovative interactions to simplify complex applications
- Graphic / visual design
- Fluency in CSS / jQuery
- Experience with creating a pattern and/or component library
- Ability to create rapid prototypes for collecting customer feedback
- Bachelor's degree preferred, or equivalent experience
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
We are a hard-working, fun-loving office, and we’re looking for the right fit—someone with great communication skills and a solid work ethic who picks up skills quickly.
Naviance offers a competitive salary along with an excellent benefits package including:
- Health Insurance
- Life & Disability Insurance
- Dental Plan
- 401K Plan
- Metro SmartBenefits (pre-tax option)
- Generous Paid Time Off Program
We have a corporate commitment to education and actively participate in charity work to support schools locally and abroad. Through our work with PLAN (www.planusa.org), our staff joins in an annual campaign to improve education in developing nations. In the past three years, groups of employees from Naviance and our corporate parent, Hobsons, have traveled to Ghana, Bolivia, and Vietnam to build educational facilities.
To learn more about Naviance, please visit our corporate Web site at www.naviance.com.
EEO / M / F / D / V