Controller (Work From Home)
Accounting | Salt Lake City, UT | Full Time
Controller (Salt Lake City)
HireAthena is transforming the way startups manage their “back office.” Startup CEOs can buy QuickBooks and try to do their own accounting. They can also try to figure out payroll, HR, and benefits... and then try to “glue” all those services together. An increasing number of startups and growing companies have hired us to do it for them. We’ve found the best way of doing any given task related to accounting, finance, HR and payroll by providing software and constantly refining it to meet our clients’ needs - real-time.
Want to help a fun tech-savvy startup change the world? Join us!
We’re hiring a Controller to deliver a full range of accounting services to startups and small businesses. This is a remote position where you will work from home. You will have no commute.With this, you can set flexible hours that enable you to maintain your own work/life balance.
As a Controller with HireAthena, you will be lead a three-tiered collaborative team of top-notch accounting professionals consisting of Accounting Managers and Staff Accountants to support a number of clients. You’ll be using best-in-class, cloud-based technologies to provide excellent service to your client companies.
This is an opportunity for you to work with exciting startups and growing businesses in a dynamic and innovative environment. Our clients are rethinking “business,” so you’ll have fun collaborating with passionate entrepreneurs. You’ll find yourself surrounded by energetic and intelligent people who are constantly looking to learn more, which will in turn keep you on the cutting edge of your field.
Instead of working with just one client, you’ll be interacting with multiple companies on a daily basis. This will exponentially increase your exposure to diverse challenges and learning experiences. Each client will present unique approaches to accounting, and you’ll be able to rapidly add expertise and practical knowledge to your working competencies. Working at HireAthena gives you invaluable hands-on skills that will be useful wherever your career takes you in the future.
What We’re Looking For
- CPA certification
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Must have strong QuickBooks skills and experience with strong attention to detail
- Must have 5 years of hands-on accounting and people management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability and interest in working remotely
- Public accounting experience preferred
- SaaS or eCommerce industry experience preferred, but not required
- We’re looking for a full-time employee to work from home. This position is based in Salt Lake City, as periodically our team will meet up in person.
- Work closely with Client CEOs and provide them with accurate and timely reports
- Review month end close for multiple customers, ensuring appropriate accounting in accordance with GAAP
- Communicate with customers and your HireAthena team daily
- Oversee the HireAthena Accounting team on dissemination of financial management reports in accordance with established procedures, ensuring that all client deliverables are on-time
- Manage accounting team by coaching and counseling employees as well as planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Ensure deadlines are met by scheduling and assigning employees to the appropriate projects and following up on work results. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Contribute to HireAthena goals by accomplishing related results as needed
What makes us different?
Like Rosie the Riveter, we are committed to empowering stay-at-home talent to contribute toward mission critical operations. Lovingly, we refer to our platoon of remote employees as "Riveters" because of their can-do spirit and dedication to our cause.
Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401(k)
Submit A Sample of Your Work
In addition to sending us your resume and a cover letter, please also include responses to the imaginary scenarios below. We want to see what you would address scenarios like these.
We are asking you to do this for two reasons. First, you’re going to be addressing issues like these as part of this job. Second, we will be looking at your responses as our primary filter when assessing applications. We have found that this helps us find great people.
These are fictitious scenarios we created for this job application.
View this URL to find a hypothetical examples for the Controller Work Product Test:
Please review the contract information for XYZ Co. to answer the following questions:
(a) what would the ending balance of deferred revenue be, as of December 31st, 2015?
(b) how much revenue would be earned between January 1st and June 30th, 2016?
(c) if these were the only contracts sold in 2016, what would be the ending balance of deferred revenue be, as of December 31, 2016?
Please review the list of prepaid expenses for ABC Co., as well as the prepaid reconciliation schedule prepared by an Accounting Manager (your direct report).
After reviewing the items, please compose an email to your Accounting Manager, Suzie, and include the following in your email:
(a) identify all incorrect entries made by the Accounting Manager
(b) an explanation of whether expenses would be higher or lower in April after correcting all errors
(c) an explanation of whether assets would be higher or lower in April after correcting all errors
Please include these answers in your cover letter. We will not consider applications without this work sample.
That's it! Thanks for applying!