Sr. Environmental Specialist
Distribution Operations | Kermit, TX | Full Time
About Us: Hi-Crush is a leading domestic producer, supplier, and distributor of premium Northern White frac sand used to enhance recovery rates of oil and natural gas from hydraulic fracturing wells. We are currently have an opening for a Senior Environmental Specialist in Kermit, TX.
Position Summary: Primary responsibility is for developing, maintaining, and administering the environmental regulatory compliance program for the Hi-Crush Permian Sand facility. Secondary responsibilities include developing, maintaining and administering the environmental regulatory compliance programs for the Hi-Crush / D&I Silica transloading operations, and activities related to PropStream operations across the U.S. Will perform regular evaluations to assess potential environmental related issues with respect to pollution control laws, proper permitting, and knowledge and understanding of environmental regulation in an industrial setting, and where compliance is not found, take the actions necessary to ensure a return to compliance. This position will work with the Environmental team, assisting managers and operators in understanding the environmental regulatory obligations of the facilities. This position will also work with consultants, the public, local officials, state agencies, and the federal government. The majority of the work performed in this position will be done within the facility assigned, however some travel to other facility locations throughout the U.S. will be required.
• Perform routine inspections of facility operations for sources of pollution and document findings/determinations of compliance.
• Prepare for and be lead participant of inspections/audits by compiling pertinent environmental files (permitting documents and reports, test reports, citizen complaints, etc.) and making such arrangements with regulatory agencies or representatives.
• Prepare and update environmental reports; timely submittal of all environmental reporting to regulatory agencies.
• Coordinate and administer actions necessary for compliance sampling, testing, and reporting regarding air pollution, solid and hazardous waste management and spills, and drinking water, groundwater and stormwater; including sample/test plan development and submittal, arranging sample/test schedules, and coordinating with Plant Management to have sampling/testing conducted with minimized impact to operations. Where sampling/testing is to be performed by external 3rd party; arrange for and secure knowledgeable and experienced firm(s) to conduct the necessary sampling/testing.
• Coordinate environmental regulatory reviews with external consultants/experts on sitespecific
activities and projects that have environmental impacts and/or regulatory
• Provide input to and make recommendations on conditions for any regulatory or authority
permit application. Assist in the coordination and preparation of permit applications and
• Oversee development and maintenance of permit and compliance documents and facility
• Correspond with local, state, and federal regulatory agencies regarding compliance and
• Coordinate annual compliance assurance reviews, including responsibilities, documentation,
reporting and tracking; ensuring environmental management system(s) and database(s) are
kept up to date and accurate.
• Assist Director with administering the Environmental Management System (EMS) and
associated Environmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), ensuring facility
operational personnel’s adherence to the SOP.
• Work with management and environmental team to develop company environmental
programs and to ensure required environmental training is performed and certifications
maintained. Lead training of facility staff in regards to Environmental Department objectives
• Ensure that departmental and company goals, objectives and performance measures are
achieved by participating in short and long-range planning activities along with routine
Environmental Department meetings and team activities.
• Coordinate with purchasing/finance and Plant Manager on obtaining quotes and securing
materials and equipment necessary for facility environmental compliance obligations. Be
cognizant of Environmental Department budgeting when making decisions.
• Actively monitor construction projects and report issues to Manager, providing suggested
course(s) of action to ensure continuous compliance.
• Prepare for and attend public meetings and/or hearings as a representative of the Company,
and answer any questions in accordance with Company policies.
• Bachelor of Science degree from an ABET accredited college, in any Environmental or Life
Science based degree program; and 2+ years of relevant experience in environmental
compliance including knowledge and exposure to fundamental theories, principles and
• Ability to review, understand and interpret environmental regulatory agency guidance,
policy, and regulations.
• Knowledge of, or experience with, the preparation, review and/or submittal of environmental
regulatory permit applications.
• Must have experience with preparing and maintaining records associated with environmental
• Must demonstrate the ability to meet deadlines, is able to work in a team environment, has
experience coordinating projects among team members and consultants, and work and make
sound decisions independently.
• Excellent analytical, communication, and problem solving skills.
• Preferred applicant will have knowledge and experience in the following areas:
o Federal and State regulatory and compliance assurance programs which may include
air quality, solid and hazardous waste management, water quality (storm water,
drinking water, wetlands), and environmental management systems.
o Air pollution control and permitting, and/or storm water pollution prevention
planning and permitting.
o Use of ArcMap (or equivalent).
o EPA Method 9 certification (current certification in TX, or evidence of past
o Small/Public Water System Operator, license (current license or evidence of past
license/experience within the State of Texas).
• Knowledge and understanding of environmental regulation in an industrial setting.
• Data entry/database navigation; word processing; spreadsheets; plan/drawing reviews.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Able to work with and train others.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and organization skills.
• Ability to comprehend and manage complex instructions, procedures, and calculations.
• Work in this position is performed in a plant, processing or transloading environment and
subject to mandatory, regular medical screening as outlined in the company safety programs
that is position related and consistent with business necessity.
• Safety Glasses, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, along with other potential personal protective
equipment must be worn when working around the facilities.
• To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without
reasonable accommodation, the essential functions or the employment related responsibilities
of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions or employment related responsibilities of the
job to the fullest extent required under federal and state law except where doing so would
result in a direct threat of harm to the employee or third party or an undue hardship on the
Benefits: Hi-Crush is an equal opportunity employer offering competitive compensation and medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, and life insurance benefits.
Learn more about Hi-Crush at www.hicrushpartners.com