Medical Technologist / Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Laboratory | Waterford Township, MI | Full Time
Position Summary: Performs and interprets a wide array of medical laboratory testing in a highly complex clinical laboratory. While reporting accurate and timely results, the medical technologist position will conduct work with an emphasis on safety, accreditation, and quality standards. This position will focus on toxicology, but may cross train in molecular diagnostics, chemistry, and hematology sections.
This role is located in Waterford, Michigan. Full-time, 9PM-7AM, 10-hour shifts, Tuesday-Friday
Job Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs chemical and RT-PCR analyses of blood, urine, and other body fluids to ascertain useful diagnostic information aiding in patient care.
- Ensures proper operation of all laboratory equipment by strict adherence to calibration and quality control procedures, maintenance procedures, as well as manufacturer instructions.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by monitoring current levels, anticipating need, and placing orders.
- Troubleshoots sample and instrument issues.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, and accruing continuing education credits.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment and protects other employees by adhering to infection control, hazardous waste, and other safety protocols.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Laboratory Science, or a related science (e.g., Biochemistry, Microbiology, etc.).
- Successful graduation from a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) accredited Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Laboratory Science clinical training program; OR
- Successful graduation from a Categorical Technologist program (under the auspices of a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) accredited Medical Technology/Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Laboratory Science program); OR
- Clinical internship proof of completion (e.g., NAACLS accredited program – hospital- or university-based):
- Certificate of completion (hospital-based).
- “Clinical Practicum” designation of transcript (university-based).
- Official ASCP BOC approval confirming eligibility to take the certification exam.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
Who We Are:
Helix is a value-based, state-of-the-art clinical laboratory on a mission to elevate the lab space through compliance, high ethics, innovation and a best in class client experience. Helix incorporates the latest technology and methods to provide comprehensive diagnostics including toxicology testing, pathogen detection, blood testing and Pharmacogenomics (PGx) testing.
Expected Use and Disclosure of Protected Health Information:
Employees in this position are expected to have access to protected health information and other confidential business information from throughout the organization as is needed to fulfill their responsibilities in evaluating and reducing risk to the organization. No protected health information will be disclosed outside the organization unless specifically required by state or federal law. *This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and the requirements of the position. It is not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities of personnel so classified; nor is it intended to limit the right of any leader to assign or direct employees under his/her direction.