Workshop Technician Maker
Objects and Exhibitions | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
To work closely with the Head of Making and Studio Manager in on-going workshop support, development, and safety procedures that support and sustain a high level of making and design activities in the studio. Facilitate through infrastructure, logistics, knowledge sharing, and systems to maintain studio values of making with the workshop and the studio as a whole.
As a Workshop technician and Maker, 20% of your role will be as key support for the studio's projects, supporting ideas through three dimensional making. The role involves the production of high quality models, prototypes, mock-ups, and the preparation of exhibitions and presentation material.
Workshop Technician Specific:
- Practical: Ensure the maintenance and smooth running of multiple workshop environments, including machinery, waste management, housekeeping, health and safety requirements, documentation. Ensure logistical operation (ordering, etc.) of workshop and making is supported. Ability to integrate and support the studio design process and making activities.
- Strategical: Research, plan and implement improvements to current systems and capabilities. Anticipate future requirements: physical, digital and culturally.
- Cultural: Understand, endorse and be a champion of studio values, design process and methodology. Maintain close professional relationships with peers across the studio.
- Educational: Proactively engaging with the making team and wider studio, sharing knowledge in how to work safely and efficiently when making. Seek out opportunities to further develop making as a skilled resource.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Overseeing operation, facilities and safety of multiple making facilities across the Heatherwick studio campus.
- Lead on organising reviews and critiques in order to enhance and create systems and procedures to align the goals and challenges of the studio’s making activities.
- Work with Head of Making and Health and Safety Manager in maintaining and keeping up to date all Health and safety documentation, procedures and systems.
- Coordinate Machinery maintenance and documentation.
- Develop and maintain safe working guideline documentation for all studio workshop environments.
- Carry out machinery and process training/inductions for designers and makers
- Engage with makers and designers to enable a safe, respectful and inclusive working environment.
- Execute and promote relevant Health and Safety procedures at all times within the workshop.
- Undertake all compliance recording on health and safety procedures and machinery.
- Maintenance (including the organisation of repair, replacing and restocking) of Workshop machines, tools, fixings, materials, and other consumables.
- Organise, order and receive materials and supplies necessary for the smooth running of the workshop operation in conjunction with the Head of Making and Finance to coordinate budgets.
- Good housekeeping including fulfilling systems and procedures in place.
- Identify, propose and implement any improvements to workshop space or making systems with the Head of Making.
This role is expected to immerse fully in many aspects of studio infrastructure and process. Key relationships are:
- Head of Making
- Studio Manager
- Makers and Design Makers
- Head of Project enabling
- Head of Buildings and Studio environment
- Archiving team
- Project Teams
Skills and Experience
- Extensive knowledge and demonstrable experience of running workshop facilities.
- Experience liaising with a wider studio management infrastructure.
- A clear understanding of relevant industry regulations and policies.
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience of Health and safety guidelines and procedures relevant to workshop practice.
- Experience in designing and implementing operations and procedures that underpins safe and efficient making activities.
- Demonstrable ability to lead, plan, organise and prioritise workload.
- Demonstrable experience in leading small and effective teams.
- Capabilities within a broad and varied set of making skills and techniques
- Ability to prioritize and work both collaboratively and independently.
- Engaged, inquisitive, with good interpersonal skills.
- Empathy for studio’s design and making challenges.
- Exceptional operational judgement.
- Resilient and determined.
- Active listening and clear communication.
- Calm, mature and professional.
- Analytical with a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Proactively seeks out opportunities for continual development.