Workplace & Property | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
To manage and oversee the day to day running of the Studio ensuring that outstanding standards of experience, service and presentation are delivered for all Studio users – this may be external clients, our fellow Studio members, prospective Studio partners or charitable outreach programmes – this role will strive to achieve both parity and excellence for whomever our service provides for.
An experienced, motivational personality, comfortable in leading both hospitality focused delivery as well as more traditional facilities management disciplines, this role will be integral in uniting and motivating a team around a common focus.
Our Studio Manager will be the go-to person for H&S in the studio, acting as the studio’s responsible person and taking a proactive, can-do approach to effective risk management within the studio.
The Studio Manager will be integral to the implementation of the wider domain strategy by coaching and mentoring team members in their chosen disciplines and mapping out development plans to nurture talent within our domain whilst striving for innovation and world class environments across our Studios.
This is a key role within the domain which requires a high level of resilience and resolve to overhaul and develop workplace delivery whilst carefully balancing compliance needs and Studio culture.
The Studio is currently made up of around 150 designers, architects, makers and specialists. We occupy 3 buildings in the Kings Cross area of London.
Management of the studio’s buildings and internal environments:
- Reviewing and overhauling all service provider arrangements.
- Lead on seating coordination- joiners, leavers and churn.
- Creating a proactive, planned maintenance, fabric improvements and minor projects schedule ensuring our buildings are constantly looking and functioning at their best whilst evolving to best meet the needs of our members and visitors.
- Managing and leading our Studio Environments and Studio Experience Team to ensure that their skills are directed appropriately and workflow prioritised effectively (to include moving away from the management of COVID protocols to enhanced hospitality focus post pandemic).
- Working with the Property & Workplace Coordinator to analyse Service desk trends to identify recurring issues.
- Delivering the P&W Induction for new joiners.
- Management of our Landlord repairing obligations for studio leased buildings.
- To assist the Head of Property & Workplace with the annual budgeting and half-year forecasting process.
Lead of the Studio’s Operational H&S Delivery by:
- Periodically reviewing and updating policy and procedures for emergency response, First Aid and Fire Safety.
- Overseeing the team’s management of contractor safety including RAMS review for higher risk works, overhauling current processes where appropriate.
- Acting as the notification and escalation point for accident reporting and investigation, making recommendations for improvement and liaising with the relevant authorities where appropriate.
- Delivering periodic training to studio members for Incident Response Planning.
- Monitoring compliance standards ensuring best practice across all applicable obligations.
Management of the Studio’s Hospitality and Front of House experience by:
- Management of the Studio Cook overseeing food strategy and delivery;
- Management of client and visitor experience by leading both the kitchen and Reception teams to ensure a welcoming, special and unique experience to all guests;
- Ensuring party of experience for members, clients, visitors and partners;
NB. The COVID-19 pandemic has meant our hospitality experience has had to be temporarily suspended. Our Front of House team currently focus on management of our COVID-secure workplace. Whilst we’re ready and excited to resume our hospitality service again this enforced pause does provide an opportunity to relaunch our offering in the near future.
Skills and qualities
- An ability to organise multiple work streams to deliver the most efficient and effective work programmes.
- A solutions oriented and pragmatic approach.
- Excellent administrative and organisation skills.
- An ability to prioritise both their own work and have sufficient confidence to prioritise the work of others;
- Excellent planning, organising, implementing, and monitoring skills.
- Fantastic communications skills with people at all levels.
- An ability to listen carefully and write with clarity.
- Excellent IT skills, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel.
Experience, knowledge & qualifications
- 8 + years relevant or transferable experience (essential)
- Budget management experience
- Line management experience (essential)
- In date First Aid certificate
- Exposure to high end environments and service experience
- Good understanding of H&S (NEBOSH essential) and Environmental legislation and compliance requirements including; - Fire Safety, COSHH, PUWER, Working at Height, Manual Handling, Waste regulations, etc.
- Member of a relevant professional body
It is vital that the person in this role is able to develop and maintain positive and professional relationships across the whole studio and all domains. The key relationships in this role are:
- Reporting to the Head of Property & Workplace
- Working closely with the Property & Workplace Co-Ordinator and Studio Environments Co-Ordinator
- Wider Property & Workplace Team
- Workshop and Making Team
- Domain Leaders
- Project Leaders
Training and Continuing Professional Development
The studio aims to attract and develop the best talent and create a supportive environment in which studio members can learn and develop. Training is provided to increase technical skills and to address identified professional development needs.