People Operations Manager
People | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
Our People Operations Manager is a core leadership role as part of the overall People Team at Heatherwick Studio. It is a really exciting time for this role as we embark upon the technology transformation in the People Domain that allows us to take strides forward in how we work and enable the Studio.
This role will be a true partner to the Head of People in managing effective HR Systems, data and processes, whilst ensuring compliance and high standards across all that we do. You will be our global mobility leader ensuring that all our people outside the UK are well looked after and feel part of the Studio regardless of which part of the world they are in.
This role will be our team’s expert on all things employee relations and be the go-to person for the rest of the People Team to sound out employment law queries.
With expert collaboration and networking skills, you will work with multiple customers across the Studio and act as a subject matter expert on all People Operations matters and related projects.
Projects and management
- Providing technical HR support and expertise across key business projects, including taking the lead the implementation of our new payroll and HR systems.
- Leading the People component of the creation of our new entity in mainland China.
- Engaging with staff and line managers on key projects and processes changes, to ensure effective buy-in to new ways of working.
Reward and Benefits
- Owning the payroll process end to end, ensuring accuracy and statutory compliance.
- Leading on the review of our benefits package ensuring it is fit for purpose, whilst ensuring strong relationships with our third party providers.
- Owning our pay structures and banding, ensuring we are paying all our people at the right level.
Systems and processes
- Being a process champion, constantly looking for ways to improve efficiency and reduce failure.
- Putting people before process and ensuring that the processes of the People Team are fair, transparent and employee-centred.
- Acting as a super-user for the HR system, ensuring that it is used to its fullest potential.
- Acting as a key point of contact to Finance, Health and safety and other support functions, to ensure effective joint working and process alignment with the people team.
- Providing timely and bespoke management information to various stakeholders regarding our people.
Compliance and safety in the workplace
- Ensuring compliance and governance of all HR, employment and immigration law matters.
- Own policy manual updates and communication.
- Manage people team compliance with studio risk register.
- Stay aware of any statutory compliance issues, or employment law changes e.g. GDPR auditing and design appropriate responses, processes and/or communication planning for the people team.
- Responsibility for reporting against government requirements, such as equality, diversity and inclusion, modern slavery and gender pay gap reporting.
- Keeping sight of regulatory changes which have the potential to impact our studio, and planning and managing our business response.
- Overseeing the management of our pension’s scheme and ensuring company compliance.
- Managing our global mobility experience to ensure the safety of our employees in our work locations outside the UK.
- Ensuring all employees have a legal right to work in their country of employment and proactively initiating visa renewals.
- Manage all global placements and repatriations including assignment agreements, tax, salary, benefits, relocation processes and family support.
- Holds vendor relationships with outsourced global tax services and global mobility providers.
- Ensures effective administration of all global mobility processes
- Manage all UK and international visa compliance and applications, and UK Sponsor Licence responsibilities.
Health and Wellness
- Manage wellness initiatives and lead Studio Mental Health Team.
- Lead Occupational Health Strategy and manage the dashboard including fit to work certificates.
- Manage the relationship with our Employee Assistance Programme and report on usage.
- Sickness management and long working hours reporting and escalations.
Knowledge and Experience
- HR experience in a generalist role
- Excellent computer literacy and IT skills.
- Working with an HRIS system or with HR systems work.
- Intermediate Excel skills including complex formulas, pivot tables and lookups.
- Working knowledge of process mapping/improvement or lean principles and methodology.
- Working with employment compliance and UK regulation relating to workers
- Experience using data to inform decision-making.
- Managing sponsored migrant worker systems and visa compliance processes.
- Project and Risk Management
- Global employee relations experience
- Experience managing 3rd party relationships
- Interpersonal intelligence, understanding, empathy, diplomacy and integrity
- Excellent communication skills to bring a simple language to complex issues.