Projects | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
We are looking for UK based architectural model maker, with proven experience in resolving design propositions through physical making.
As an integral part of a design process, candidates must be able to both produce elegantly crafted models and objects and also facilitate design and thinking through making. Confident in using a wide range of materials, machinery and tools, to an even wider range of accuracy levels.
Eligible Candidates must understand architectural drawings and have an ability to navigate through the 3D software, Rhino.
We expect all studio members to work together with honesty and integrity, and to have genuine care for each other. The studio is a creative community and it’s important to use that everyone feels they belong. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered without regard to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, neurodiversity status or disability status. We encourage all people from historically underrepresented backgrounds to apply. If you want any help with your application, please let us know.
About the Studio
Heatherwick Studio is a team of over 200 problem solvers dedicated to making the physical world around us better for everyone. Based out of our combined workshop and design studio in Central London, we create buildings, spaces, masterplans, objects and infrastructure. Focusing on large scale projects in cities all over the world, we prioritise those with the greatest positive social impact. Working as practical inventors with no signature style, our motivation is to design soulful and interesting places that embrace and celebrate the complexities of the real world. The approach driving everything is to lead from a human experience rather than any fixed design dogma. The studio’s completed projects include a number of internationally celebrated buildings, including the award-winning Zeitz MOCAA in Cape Town, Learning Hub at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University, Coal Drops Yard in London and the UK Pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo 2010. The studio is currently working on 30 live projects in ten countries. These include Lantern House, a new residential building for Related in Manhattan, Little Island at Pier 55, a new park and performance space in New York due to complete in spring 2021, as well as major new headquarters for Google in Silicon Valley and London (in collaboration with BIG).
- Be self-aware of time scale capabilities and able to prioritise time and tasks efficiently
- Demonstrable aesthetic and design judgement, as well as high levels of accuracy and making skills
- Sound problem solving, organisational and planning skills
- Flexible attitude and willingness to learn new approaches and skills
- Good interpersonal skills and able to build effective relationships
- Able to remain calm and resilient in challenging situations
- Able to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information
- Demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach
- Advocate and follower of in-house Health and Safety policies
- 4+ years post-graduate experience in a similar role
- Design or architecture qualification
- Experience in defining appropriate briefs and associated costs
- Proficiency in 2D and 3D computing skills, in particular with Rhino and Adobe CS
- Ability to understand architectural drawings
- Skill and experience in using machinery and tools in a workshop environment
- Portfolio of works to support skillset
How to apply:
Please fill apply through the link on our job page. Please fill out the job application form carefully and submit your CV. We will consider the job application form as an essential part of the application.
Unfortunately, due to the volume of applications, we are unable to provide detailed feedback to candidates on their applications. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.