Project Enabling | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
Location: Kings Cross, London
Posting Date: 23/01/2018
Closing Date: 09/02/2018
Heatherwick Studio is an international studio that brings together craft, design, architecture, and urban planning together in a single workspace. We are a vibrant practice focused on innovation, collaboration and making, constantly questioning the boundary of what is possible. Today a team of 200, we are involved in a number of significant and extraordinary projects across the world.
This is a unique and exciting role where you will work closely with the project teams in proposing, defining and executing presentation, sketch and prototype objects to facilitate concept proving and design representation.
You will be an integral part of the Making team, working closely with the Head of Making in developing and maintaining Making team resourcing, knowledge sharing, training and development strategy.
Extensive Rhino skills, with experience in Grasshopper, mesh fixing, 3D printing and CNC manufacture is preferred.
This role would suit a recently qualified Part 2 (or equivalent) who has Making experience as part of their Architecture degree.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support project designers with 3D physical making requirements and deliver high quality objects on time and to requirements.
- Manage small to medium size projects independently, or to lead, as well as being part of a team, in all making activities.
- Contribute to the making brief formulation, making design options, and project design review processes, and demonstrate a professional approach at all times.
- Assist project teams in clarifying making priorities, programme, and ambition, and advice on suitable making proposals that could achieve the desired outcome.
- Assist project team in translating digital design information into operable digital making information.
- Working closely with the Head of Making in defining programme for making briefing, review and de-briefing on each making activity.
Skills and attributes
- Qualified to a minimum HND level, preferably Degree level, in relevant subject area or equivalent industry experience.
- Demonstrable aesthetic and design judgement, as well as high levels of accuracy and making skills.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of workshop machinery, including circular saw, band saw, pillar drill and disc sander.
- High level of digital manufacture processes, including Rapid Prototyping and laser cutting.
- Some 2D and extensive 3D computing skills, with a preference for Rhino and Adobe CS.
- Ability to understand drawings and translate relevant information to form part of making
Candidates should be highly motivated and enthusiastic with excellent communication, problem solving and organisational skills; good spoken and written English is essential.
Please send a cover letter & CV and importantly a PDF portfolio. You can do this in one combined PDF document (ideal) or in two documents. Please note that your attachment limit is 5MB so you'll need to flatten or compress your PDF portfolio to meet this size limit. Otherwise, you can provide a link to an online portfolio PDF (but please don't just provide a website link as we are interested in seeing how you design and layout your portfolio, many thanks). Applications without a portfolio can't be considered, if you have any trouble uploading please call the studio.