Health & Safety Advisor - Maternity Cover
Health and Safety | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
Health & Safety Advisor (Maternity Cover – 1 year fixed term contract)
Location: Kings Cross London
Posting Date: 04/01/2018
Closing Date: 31/01/2018
Please note that where response levels are exceptional we may close the post before the specified date, therefore early application is recommended
Heatherwick Studio is an international studio that brings together craft, design, architecture, and urban planning together in a single workspace.
We are a vibrant practice focused on innovation, collaboration and making; constantly questioning the boundary of what is possible.
Today a team of 200, we are involved in a number of significant and extraordinary projects across the world.
We are seeking a Health and Safety Advisor to cover a maternity leave who will manage overall responsibility for the Health and Safety Management System including ensuring compliance with all relevant H&S legislation. This role reports directly to the Studio Director to provide advice and support to our Senior Leadership Team on compliance, best practice and performance in health, safety and wellbeing.
The studio consists of model making workshop spaces, four buildings situated in Kings Cross and projects sites all over the globe. This requires an individual experienced in all areas of Health & Safety and Risk Management.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Ensure the health, safety and welfare of staff and others affected by our operations and encourage all employees to consider the implications of all decisions that affect our ability to manage health and safety.
- Ensure that appropriate risk assessments of the studio environment and workshop activities are undertaken and reviewed periodically and any actions are implemented. Identify where safe working practices can be improved upon
- Manage and chair health and safety meetings
- Keep up to date and ensure compliance with current health and safety legislation; provide or obtain health and safety advice as and when requested or necessary; and ensure that the Studio’s Policy is implemented locally.
- Conduct regular studio inspections and arrange for any actions to be dealt with promptly; undertake display screen equipment (DSE) workstation assessments; ensure suitable PPE and project work equipment are available; undertake health and safety inductions for new starters.
- Undertake investigations into local accidents, near-miss incidents and all health and safety matters of relevance and provide the Health and Safety Director and Health and Safety Management Team with suitable reports.
- Act as a point of contact for feedback, comments, suggestions and discussion of health and safety matters raised by staff.
- Ensure that the Health and Safety documentation is prepared and maintained, and includes all necessary health and safety information. Working closely with other domains to ensure this documentation is in place. Ensure the arrangements for Fire and Emergency procedures are appropriate and in place and all staff are familiar with the requirements. Undertake periodic testing of fire systems. Be part of the Incident Management Team.
- Ensure that there are sufficient staff with competent health and safety training (including Fire Marshal, First Aid, Site Safety) and they are adequately supported to fulfil their responsibilities.
Skills and qualities:
- An ability to think strategically in order to coordinate the work of others effectively and deliver outcomes on time through persistence and tenacity.
- A good-natured personality, with integrity, a concern and sensitivity for the needs of others and the ability cooperate and collaborate.
- Proactive, pragmatic and positive approach to health, safety and wellbeing
- Excellent negotiation, communication, analytical and interpersonal skills
- An attention to detail and the ability to think analytically and critically in order to solve complex problems creatively.
- Excellent judgment and decision making.
- The capacity to understand and engage with the studio’s work, design processes, values, management and administration systems, and office management buildings and infrastructure systems.
Essential experience and knowledge
- NEBOSH (General Certificate) qualification as minimum or equivalent H&S qualification, and IOSH membership.
- Excellent understanding of H&S law and its application to key elements of occupational safety and health management systems.
- Extensive experience managing health and safety.
- Proven experience working with COSHH, machinery safety and CDM 2015 regulations.
- Practical experience of identifying and minimising hazards and dangerous occurrences, evaluating risks and deciding on appropriate controls.
- Practical experience of preparing risk assessments, implementing control measures, investigating incidents, gathering and analysing health and safety data.
If you are interested in this appointment please send a CV and a covering letter outlining why you are interested in joining the studio.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE