Product and Design | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Guidebook is a simple yet powerful mobile application builder that lets you create an app in four easy steps with no technical skills required.
Thousands of organizations use Guidebook to create mobile applications for their conference, corporate meeting, university campus, or other custom events—but it doesn’t stop there. Our mission is to connect people with the places in which they spend their time. Forward-thinking professionals are using Guidebook’s simple app builder to make interactive mobile guides for their student orientations, college campus tours, venues and corporate campuses, airports, and any other place where there’s a lot going on.
Here at Guidebook we know the future is mobile—come join us in the challenge!
ABOUT THE JOB:
Guidebook is seeking an innovative and detail-oriented Product Designer to work closely with our product managers, engineers, and other cross-functional team members to help us produce a beautiful, well-designed product that works across different platforms. You will work with and negotiate with product owners and engineers to bring designs to life through prototypes and demos. You will work within our agile organization, supporting various teams in feature development by completing designs iteratively that meet business goals and requirements.
Reporting directly into one of Guidebook’s co-founders, our Creative Director, this is a unique opportunity to work in a startup where design has been in the forefront since day one. You’ll be a true collaborator, working closely with sales leadership, sales operations, marketing, engineering, finance, and others to support product development efforts of new features. Our ideal candidate is empathetic to the end user and has a great deal of interest in understanding user behaviors through standard user research methodologies, persona formation, and usability testing.
Ideally, you’ve got 1-2 years of experience in product design for both mobile (iOS and Android) and web and have a strong portfolio showing this. Experience with Sketch is required. Experience working with Confluence, Figma, JIRA, Git, and/or prototyping tools (Framer, Principle) are a plus.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Develop a strong understanding of the Guidebook style, UI library, & design system
- Get up to speed on our product offerings and sales verticals (enterprise, corporate/SMB, and education)
- Schedule introductory meetings and develop a complete understanding of the engineering, product, design, and customer support teams
- Familiarize yourself with the project management tools we use—JIRA and Confluence
- Familiarize yourself with the design tools we use: Sketch, Git, Principle, Framer, Abstract
- Familiarize yourself with Android Studio and Xcode; have the ability to run & edit development environments/apps on your local machine
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Design new components for our component library
- Refine existing components for our component library
- Design new flows/views for various new product offerings as part of the apps and/or Builder (our CMS)
- Refine & test existing flows/views within the apps and/or Builder
- Work directly with product to ideate, design, and iterate on new features
- Help to continue development on and maintenance of our design system & style guide
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- A/B test user flows, stories, and views within the apps and/or Builder
- Communicate directly with customers to test & research new user flows, views, components, etc.
- Conduct user research to help determine new features, and test existing ones
- Use prototyping tools to prototype new components or views
- Have a working knowledge of our systems and the ability to commit code
- Take design ownership over user experience for a good portion of the apps and/or Builder
- Help evolve the Guidebook style/brand
- Have a deep understanding of the entire Guidebook product design ecosystem, and how changes permeate throughout
OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- BA/BS or equivalent working experience, preferably in Human Interaction, User Experience, or related fields
- 1-2 years of experience in Product Design or UX Design
- Strong problem solving and communications skills
- 100% paid benefits: medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited vacation time
- Stock options
- Awesome company retreats, aka Guidetrips to places like Tahoe and Yosemite
- Make your workstation yours: Desk customization (fancy hydraulic standing desks; docks/stands; keyboards; whatever else you need to be productive)
- Fully stocked kitchens with every snack and drink your heart desires
- Transportation Benefits: Clipper Card tax benefit program and a free, unlimited Caltrain GoPass
- Comfortable lounge areas for work and play
- Great office space in SOMA
- Discounted gym memberships through Fond
- Reap some good karma: group volunteer events