Software Engineering Interns
Internships | Palo Alto, CA | Internship
About Guidebook and this role:
Here is your chance to be part of a profitable and rapidly growing startup! In the past year Guidebook’s gone from 20 employees to being well on our way to 100. You could be among our first official intern class and help shape our company culture all while developing new and exciting products. Guidebook is still small enough that you will be able to make a large and direct impact, but big enough that you will be working on features that affect millions of users - making for one unforgettable learning experience.
As an intern at Guidebook, you’ll be paired with one of our highly talented and experienced engineers! During our 12 week program, you’ll be encouraged to maximize your personal growth by asking questions, solving challenging technical problems, doing code reviews and, of course, learning from your sensei. You will have the freedom to work on various projects at Guidebook, while working closely with your mentor and the development team to implement production-level features.
If you are passionate about coding, solving problems, having fun, and seeing your hard work in the hands of millions of Guidebook users, then send over your CV + cover letter!
Last summer our interns:
- Worked side-by-side with full-time backend and mobile engineers to develop user accounts features that went out to the 250,000+ monthly users of the Guidebook mobile apps.
- Collaborated with our resident PhD (Director of R&D) to automate data scraping from the web and molding it to fit our backend ORMs for content generated guides and internal experiments.
- Made tremendous front-end contributions to our LivePoll product. Worked with Backbone.js (and other front-end technologies) to design, build and ship an amazing new feature.
- Contributed to Python-specific projects for our research team. Notably, an automated content generation system was created to streamline the guide building process for our Customer Success team.
This summer our interns will:
- Implement features and refractor parts of our mobile web app
- Work on our Gears (CMS) platform - React.js, Coffeescript, Flux
- Build open source libraries for our new client-facing API
- Create and implement new mobile features with iOS and Android teams
- Process data with mixpanel using Python and Hadoop (currently collecting 20-30 million events per month)
- Have the opportunity to work on cross-functional projects that excite you within Guidebook
- You're currently pursuing a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- Expected graduation date of Winter 2015 or Spring 2016, but all outstanding applicants are encouraged to apply
- Someone who is passionate about software development and is devoted to going above and beyond (this typically means you have personal projects you have worked on outside of school)
- Desire to help connect people and places in innovative ways
- Working knowledge of mobile technologies, software design patterns, and algorithms
- Internship experience at a tech company (preferably a startup)
- New offices in downtown Palo Alto and SOMA (take your pick of which office you want to work out of). Both are within a short walk to Caltrain.
- Free CalTrain GoPass - unlimited Caltrain rides
- Unlimited vacation time
- Discount gym membership
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and beverages
- Free lunches on Tuesday and Thursday (you get to choose from myeatclub.com's pre-selected menu)
- Customize your workstation - whatever you need to be able to work more efficiently, we will provide - within reason!
- Game nights every third week
- In office yoga in the SF office twice a month on Fridays (1st and 3rd Friday)
- Standing hydraulic desks
- Group/Team outings like Tahoe/Yosemite trips, movie nights, BBQ's, etc.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with the Fair Chance Ordinance.