Senior Manager, Engineering—Web
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Guidebook is a simple yet powerful mobile application builder that lets you create an app in four easy steps with no technical skills required.
Thousands of organizations use Guidebook to create mobile applications for their conference, corporate meeting, university campus, or other custom event—but it doesn’t stop there. Our mission is to connect people with the places in which they spend their time. Forward-thinking professionals are using Guidebook’s simple app builder to make interactive mobile guides for their student orientations, college campus tours, venues and corporate campuses, airports, and any other place where there’s a lot going on.
Here at Guidebook we know the future is mobile—come join us on the challenge!
ENGINEERING AT GUIDEBOOK:
We value communication, ownership, and execution. Our goal is to identify and develop each of our team member’s individual strengths; we use those strengths to foster a culture of accountability and high-performance across our Engineering Organization.
We pride ourselves on developing best in class products from our web based content management system to our mobile experience for event attendees. Our team members have a diverse array of talent and experience and we’re looking for a manager to help develop our intellectually curious developers and build on top of our existing engineering culture.
ABOUT THE JOB:
As a Senior Engineering Manager, your role is all about building and developing the back-end engineering team. You will manage a strong group of developers, lead architecture discussions, participate in PR reviews, take on your own technical projects, and collaborate with other key leaders across the company. This is an opportunity for a strong leader to join a growing technology company and help take us to the next level.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, this role will be high profile across the company and is a key leadership position within the Engineering team. You will be working directly with the Product, Design, Finance and Client teams to expand our API platform and all of the various sub-systems it connects to.
Key competencies for this position include engineering management experience and deep knowledge of Python and RESTful API architecture.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Understand our development process and tech stack.
- Review PRs and start writing code yourself.
- Build relationships within the team and start developing your direct reports.
- Learn how to facilitate some of our Agile rituals, such as our Sprint Planning and Retrospective meetings.
- Gain a deeper understanding of our product and our customers.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Hire a new back-end engineer.
- Collaborate with our other tech teams to iterate and optimize cross-team processes.
- Think strategically about the growth of our API platform.
- Contribute major features to our CMS (Builder) and APIs.
- Take an ownership stake in our process discussions, tooling decisions, and feature development process.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Work with the Product team to help plan the product roadmap.
- Build out career plans for your team.
- Expand our footprint within the AWS ecosystem.
OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- 5+ years of experience in backend web development
- 2+ years of people management experience
- You realize that your personal success is based on your team’s success.
- You have grit. We are a startup and need people who will take ownership to be successful in the role.
- You’re prepared to go the extra mile when necessary (though Guidebook promotes a healthy work/life balance).
- You are a team player. Everyone needs to pull for each other, challenge each other, share best practices, and take on team projects to make the entire organization better.
- 100% paid benefits: medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited vacation time
- Stock options
- Awesome company retreats, aka Guidetrips to places like Tahoe and Yosemite
- Make your workstation yours: desk customization (fancy hydraulic standing desks; docks/stands; keyboards; whatever else you need to be productive)
- Fully stocked kitchens with every snack and drink your heart desires
- Transportation benefits: Clipper Card tax benefit program and a free, unlimited Caltrain GoPass
- Comfortable lounge areas for work and play
- Great new office space in SOMA
- Discounted gym memberships through Fond
- Reap some good karma: group volunteer events