Senior Front End Software Engineer
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Guidebook is a simple yet powerful mobile application builder that lets you create an app in four easy steps with no technical skills required.
Thousands of organizations use Guidebook to create mobile applications for their conference, corporate meeting, university campus, or other custom event—but it doesn’t stop there. Our mission is to connect people with the places in which they spend their time. Forward-thinking professionals are using Guidebook’s simple app builder to make interactive mobile guides for their student orientations, college campus tours, venues and corporate campuses, airports, and any other place where there’s a lot going on.
Here at Guidebook we know the future is mobile—come join us on the challenge!
ENGINEERING AT GUIDEBOOK:
We value communication, ownership, and execution. Our goal is to identify and develop each of our team member’s individual strengths; we use those strengths to foster a culture of accountability and high-performance across our Engineering Organization.
We pride ourselves on developing best in class products from our web based content management system to our mobile experience for event attendees. Our team members have a diverse array of talent and experience and we’re looking for other intellectually curious developers to join our cause.
Make no mistake about it—you will be contributing in meaningful ways to our consumer facing product suite that touches hundreds of thousands of users each month.
ABOUT THE JOB:
As a Senior Front End Engineer at Guidebook, you’ll work alongside product and other cross-functional counterparts including designers, QA, back end, and mobile engineers on feature teams to make improvements to Builder (our content management system), as well as our corporate website. In your day-to-day, you'll use ES6, React.js, Immutable.js, Flux, JSX, CSS, HTML, Sass, Webpack, and Babel. You will be held to high standards of excellence for your contributions—and we expect you to hold your teammates to those same standards!
You will report into our Front End Engineering Manager, Dylan Foster, and become a part of a very tightly knit team. Our software engineers feel huge ownership over their work and our ideal candidate should be excited to step into a small, agile team to work on meaningful projects that tangibly impact company success. We value teamwork, curiosity, a passion for front end engineering, and self-development. We send our engineers regularly to relevant conferences (React Rally 2018, React Boston 2017) and give our engineers opportunities to speak to the company at large on demo days. We appreciate the importance of continued education and investing in our employees’ professional development.
Ideally you have three to five years of professional experience working in a front end role and are excited to work closely with your manager to maintain high quality work across the team and to continue improving the quality of the codebase.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Contribute to our core product, and work alongside a project team daily
- Be directly involved in the team’s PR review
- Develop an understanding of our feature set via thorough product walkthroughs
- Learn the ins and outs of the front end codebase
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Write technical specs for new projects
- Deliver projects on our roadmap from start to finish
- Present your work to the company
- Attend quarterly outings with the engineering team
- Work with your manager to iterate on coding patterns
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Attend an annual conference with the team (previously React Rally 2018)
- Work with your manager to iterate on team processes
- Drive major improvements to the core frontend modules
- Be instrumental in prioritizing engineering driven work
- Work on new initiatives from cross functional department heads
OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- 3-5 years of industry experience in a frontend role
- Experienced with ES6, React.js, Immutable.js, Flux, JSX, CSS, HTML, Sass, Webpack, and Babel
- Comfortable working in a small, agile software environment that iterates fast and often
- Cares about code quality, and hold yourself and your teammates to a high standard
- Passionate about frontend development
- Enjoys iterating on process, to find what works best for the team
- Is excited about working directly with the frontend manager to iterate on a large codebase
- Wants to work in an environment where your teammates value psychological safety
- 100% paid benefits: medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited vacation time
- Stock options
- Awesome company retreats, aka Guidetrips (this July we're headed to Yosemite!)
- Make your workstation yours: desk customization (hydraulic standing desks; docks/stands; keyboards; whatever else you need to be productive)
- Fully stocked kitchens with every snack and drink your heart desires
- Transportation benefits: Clipper Card tax benefit program and a free, unlimited Caltrain GoPass
- Comfortable lounge areas for work and play
- Great new office space in SOMA
- Discounted gym memberships through Fond
- Reap some good karma: group volunteer events