Engineering | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
At Guidebook, we don’t think it should be expensive or difficult for organizations to connect with their audiences on their mobile devices.
More and more people are relying on their smartphones and tablets for information about what’s going on, and how to get the most out of the experience once they get there. Forward-thinking organizations have realized this, and are trying to make the transition, but it can be a daunting task to create an app from scratch.
Guidebook makes it simple and inexpensive to go mobile. Come join us in the challenge!
To be successful, we need to scale and you will have a significant amount of input on what our plan will be. You will also learn and try out new technologies that are just being adopted. Your role is critical in ensuring that our infrastructure can support our fast-paced growth on the customer side and that we can scale our development processes as our team grows.
- Analyze our current development infrastructure/operations and update and improve upon it.
- Get hands on with AWS and our code deployment process. Investigate and setup new processes. Specific things that we are interested in for the first few months are S3 local backup, RedIs implementation, Elastic Beanstalk setup, EC2 auto-scaling, Chef/Puppet/Salt implementation.
- As tasks are completed, you will start contributing on some backend development (Python/Django)
- Your performance will be measure based on improved deployment process/times, reduction in server alarms and more efficient operation of resources. The goal is that our app traffic scales without an increase in error reports and maintaining/improving our error rate, response times, uptime.
- Preferably, you have experience with AWS. If none, then you have experience running and maintaining a large scale web application.
- You've monitored and managed scalable clusters that handle tremendous load
- You’re service-oriented, and enjoy working with engineers to make the software development process painless as possible
- You’ve carried a pager, and know what to do when things go wrong (don't worry, we carry them too, and work hard to make sure they never go off!)
- You have strong Python/Django experience since we would like you to contribute on backend development as well.
- Intellectual curiosity that motivates you to keep on top of technical trends
- A penchant for making open source contributions
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and/or in small teams
- Fearless in the face of massive technical challenges
- You’ve got experience with continuous integration, log collection and analysis, builds, or performance monitoring
- You’ve managed server and app deployment, and follow secure deployment practice
- New offices in downtown Palo Alto and SOMA (take your pick of which office you want to work out of). Both are within a short walk to Caltrain.
- Free CalTrain GoPass - unlimited Caltrain rides
- Unlimited Vacation time
- Discount gym membership
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and beverages
- Free lunches on Tuesday and Thursday (you get to choose from myeatclub.com's pre-selected menu)
- Customize your workstation - whatever you need to be able to work more efficiently, we will provide - within reason!
- Game night twice per month
- In office yoga in the SF office twice a month on Fridays (1st and 3rd Friday)
- Standing hydraulic desks
- Group/Team outings like Tahoe/Yosemite trips, movie nights, BBQ's, etc.