Data Science Intern
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Internship
Guidebook is a simple yet powerful mobile application builder that lets you create an app in four easy steps with no technical skills required.
Thousands of organizations use Guidebook to create mobile applications for their conference, corporate meeting, university campus, or other custom events—but it doesn’t stop there. Our mission is to connect people with the places in which they spend their time. Forward-thinking professionals are using Guidebook’s simple app builder to make interactive mobile guides for their student orientations, college campus tours, venues and corporate campuses, airports, and any other place where there’s a lot going on.
ABOUT OUR INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
We run a robust, paid internship program that allows you to work on meaningful projects, focus on professional development, and have fun. During our 12-week summer program, you’ll be encouraged to maximize your personal growth by asking questions and solving challenging technical problems. More specifically, you'll use our product metrics to build and analyze datasets, then share your work with teams across the company.
During roundtable discussions throughout the summer, you’ll hear from leaders from different departments to learn how they fit into the organization and how they can impact your work. Other highlights of our internship program include: team outings, company-wide demo days, and benefits (commuter benefits, health insurance, fully stocked kitchen, learning & development opportunities, etc).
What’s unique about Guidebook’s internship program is how deeply embedded you will be in the company during the 12 weeks you are here. The 1:1 mentor to intern relationship we maintain in this startup environment guarantees you will be working on real projects and actively contributing to the business, codebase, or product within your first weeks. If you’re looking for the opportunity to define the trajectory of a fast-growing startup, we’d love to meet you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Collaborate closely with our Data Engineer, engineering team, and product team to build out datasets which help answer challenging questions about our products, clients, and end users
- Automate your analysis to deliver up-to-date results and insights to teams across the company
- Work on a small, agile team that iterates fast and often
- Participate in frequent pull request review
- Learn how to navigate and contribute to a large scale production codebase
- Work with Python, Hadoop, Spark, Elasticsearch, and AWS
WHO YOU ARE:
- A passionate developer who is excited to write code to process, analyze, and interpret data. Devoted to going above and beyond (this typically means you have personal projects you’ve worked on outside of school).
- An effective communicator who can clearly convey their reasoning about topics ranging from codebase changes to interpreting analysis results.
- Someone who has high standards of excellence for their own contributions, and the contributions of their team.
- Ideally a junior or senior pursuing a BS, or a student pursuing an MS or PhD in Computer Science or a related field.
- A professional but fun-loving person who wants to join a tightly knit engineering team that enjoys working together.
PERKS AND BENEFITS:
- 40 hours/week paid internship
- Transportation Benefits: Clipper Card tax benefit program and a free, unlimited Caltrain GoPass
- Great new office space in SOMA
- Standing hydraulic desks with customizable workspaces
- Comfortable lounge areas for work and place
- Fully-stocked kitchen (with every snack and drink your heart desires)
- Group bonding events—team outings, company happy hours, volunteer events, and more