Backend Software Engineer
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Guidebook is a simple yet powerful mobile application builder that lets you create an app in four easy steps with no technical skills required.
Thousands of organizations use Guidebook to create mobile applications for their conference, corporate meeting, university campus, or other custom events—but it doesn’t stop there. Our mission is to connect people with the places in which they spend their time. Forward-thinking professionals are using Guidebook’s simple app builder to make interactive mobile guides for their student orientations, college campus tours, venues and corporate campuses, airports, and any other place where there’s a lot going on.
ENGINEERING AT GUIDEBOOK:
We value communication, ownership, and execution. Our goal is to identify and develop each of our team member’s individual strengths; we use those strengths to foster a culture of accountability and high-performance across our Engineering Organization.
We pride ourselves on developing best in class products from our web-based content management system to our mobile experience for event attendees. Our team members have a diverse array of talent and experience and we’re looking for other intellectually curious developers to join our cause.
Make no mistake about it—you will be contributing in meaningful ways to our consumer-facing product suite that touches hundreds of thousands of users each month.
ABOUT THE JOB:
In order for us to be successful, we need a simple, powerful, scalable, and intuitive system for managing their content and attendees. We also need performant and well architected backend services for our apps to interface with. As a member of the Backend Team, your job will be to design and implement these server-side services.
Our backend hosts a RESTful API that powers our content management system and our native (Android + iOS) mobile applications. You will be using technologies including: Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, Elasticsearch, Redis, AWS, and Ansible.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Begin writing code—almost immediately!
- Be embedded with one of our cross-functional feature teams.
- Familiarize yourself with the project management tools we use—JIRA and Confluence
- Develop and maintain new features in a core piece of our product, our CMS called Builder.
- Design and implement the APIs that communicate with our apps.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Contribute major features to our CMS (Builder) and APIs.
- Learn how to facilitate some of our Agile rituals, such as our Sprint Planning and Retrospective meetings.
- Be working with a number of cross-functional team members across various stack disciplines to complete feature work.
- Begin to take an ownership stake in our process discussions, tooling decisions, and feature development process.
- Gain a deeper understanding of our product and our customers.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Have a firm grasp of our core backend codebase and adjacent systems.
- Have begun to work with your manager to develop a career plan tailored to your strengths.
- Begin to make contributions to adjacent codebases and projects, such as our build systems, test infrastructure and mapreduce stacks.
- Advocate for backend technology initiatives (such as refactor projects, technical debt clean-up, dependency upgrades).
OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- 1-2 years of experience in backend web development in a production level codebase
- Strong knowledge of RESTful API design concepts
- Effective communication—able to clearly convey both motivation and context for changesets introduced into the codebase.
- A professional but fun-loving person who wants to join a tightly knit engineering team that enjoys working together.
- 100% paid health insurance benefits: medical, dental, and vision
- Short term and Long-term disability benefits
- Unlimited vacation time
- Stock options
- Awesome company retreats, aka Guidetrips to places like Tahoe and Yosemite
- Make your workstation yours: desk customization (hydraulic standing desks; docks/stands; keyboards; whatever else you need to be productive)
- Fully stocked kitchens with every snack and drink your heart desires
- Transportation benefits: Clipper Card tax benefit program and a free, unlimited Caltrain GoPass
- Comfortable lounge areas for work and play
- Great new office space in SOMA
- Discounted gym memberships through Fond
- Reap some good karma: group volunteer events
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with the Fair Chance Ordinance.