Android Software Engineer
Technology | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Guidebook is a simple yet powerful mobile application builder that lets you create an app in four easy steps with no technical skills required.
Thousands of organizations use Guidebook to create mobile applications for their conference, corporate meeting, university campus, or other custom event—but it doesn’t stop there. Our mission is to connect people with the places in which they spend their time. Forward-thinking professionals are using Guidebook’s simple app builder to make interactive mobile guides for their student orientations, college campus tours, venues and corporate campuses, airports, and any other place where there’s a lot going on.
Here at Guidebook we know the future is mobile—come join us on the challenge!
ENGINEERING AT GUIDEBOOK:
We value communication, ownership, and execution. Our goal is to identify and develop each of our team member’s individual strengths; we use those strengths to foster a culture of accountability and high-performance across our Engineering Organization.
We pride ourselves on developing best in class products from our web based content management system to our mobile experience for event attendees. Our team members have a diverse array of talent and experience and we’re looking for other intellectually curious developers to join our cause.
Make no mistake about it—you will be contributing in meaningful ways to our consumer facing product suite that touches hundreds of thousands of users each month.
ABOUT THE JOB:
As an Android Engineer at Guidebook, you’ll work alongside product and other cross-functional counterparts including designers, QA, web front end, back end, and iOS engineers on feature teams to make improvements to our mobile app. You will be held to high standards of excellence for your contributions—and we expect you to hold your teammates to those same standards!
You will report into our President of Technology, Pete Banks and become a part of a very tightly knit team. Our software engineers feel huge ownership over their work and our ideal candidate should be excited to step into a small, agile team to work on meaningful projects that tangibly impact company success. We value empathy, communication, teamwork, and self-development. We send our engineers regularly to relevant conferences like Google IO and give our engineers opportunities to speak to the company at large on demo days. We appreciate the importance of continued education and investing in our employees’ professional development.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Contribute to our core product, and work alongside a project team daily
- Be directly involved in PR reviews
- Develop an understanding of our feature set via thorough product walkthroughs
- Learn the ins and outs of the Android codebase
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Write technical specs for new projects
- Deliver projects on our roadmap from start to finish
- Build relationships with customer facing team members
- Attend quarterly outings with the engineering team
- Work with your manager to iterate on coding patterns
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Work with your manager to iterate on team processes
- Drive major improvements to the architecture of the core code
- Be instrumental in prioritizing engineering driven work
- Work on new initiatives from cross functional department heads
OTHER CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- 1-3 years of experience developing Android applications
- Experience with RxJava, Retrofit and Picasso
- Experience with RESTful network architectures
- Proficient in design patterns and API design
- Empathetic and an excellent communicator
- Ability to break down large features into bite-size tasks
- Enjoys working alongside iOS engineers to build high quality, consistent features
- Cares about code quality, and holds themselves and others to a high standard
- Passionate about building quality products with great UI
- 100% paid health insurance benefits: medical, dental, and vision
- Short term and Long-term disability benefits
- Unlimited vacation time
- Stock options
- Awesome company retreats, aka Guidetrips to places like Tahoe and Yosemite
- Make your workstation yours: desk customization (hydraulic standing desks; docks/stands; keyboards; whatever else you need to be productive)
- Fully stocked kitchens with every snack and drink your heart desires
- Transportation benefits: Clipper Card tax benefit program and a free, unlimited Caltrain GoPass
- Comfortable lounge areas for work and play
- Discounted gym memberships through Fond
- Reap some good karma: group volunteer events
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with the Fair Chance Ordinance.