Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Gro Intelligence is building the world's largest agricultural data platform, allowing anyone to discover, analyze and predict everything that's happening in global agricultural markets. We are a fast-growing, mission-driven data and analytics company creating a more connected and productive global agricultural industry. Our diverse team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals share a passion for building software that impacts everyone in the world on a most basic level.
Gro allows users to make better decisions by quickly understanding and predicting factors that affect the availability and prices of agricultural products. We do this by standardizing huge volumes of structured and unstructured data, and transforming it into actionable knowledge for large corporate agribusinesses, financial institutions, consulting firms, and nonprofit organizations.
With offices in both New York and Nairobi, and the financial backing of prominent investors including TPG Growth and Data Collective, we are rapidly building out our team of highly motivated, intellectually curious people. Successful candidates have versatile talents and are excited to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and constantly evolving entrepreneurial environment.
We are currently hiring a VP of Engineering to join our headquarters in New York City to lead our 25 (and growing!) Engineers across NYC and Nairobi. You will learn about our current team, processes, and create a vision for improvement. You’ll execute on that vision and iterate on it consistently. You have an extensive technical network that you can lean on to help scale our growing team. You’re passionate about organizational effectiveness and developing engineers to reach their maximum potential. The VP Engineering will partner directly with and report to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Lead a team of remarkably skilled engineers in the development of high quality, high performance software.
- Work directly with CTO, leadership and other team members to ensure engineering goals align to overall company goals.
- Advocate for the engineering team both internally and externally, as a thought leader at tech meetups, industry panels, and conferences.
- Drive the Engineering recruitment process, inspiring the best engineers to join our team.
- Significant Individual contributions in some or all of:
- Data API design and service implementation
- Data storage architecture and optimization
- Data visualizations and interactions
- Large scale data harvesting and transformation systems
- 8+ years Technical leadership experience
- 10+ years software engineering experience
- Bachelor's level degree in computer science, engineering, math or related field; or relevant work experience
- Very strong computer science fundamentals (data structures and algorithms)
- Strong understanding of statistics and mathematics
- Strong system design experience
- Experience with large scale systems, parallel computing, distributed storage
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools (R, MatLab)
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience using RESTful APIs
- Understanding of relational databases and distributed databases (e.g. Postgres, Cassandra, Bigtable)
- Basic knowledge of Node.js
- Graduate degree / Research experience
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.