Software Engineer (Front End) - API & Viz Team
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time and Contract
Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in both Nairobi and New York, Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
What You'll Do:
Use your significant technology expertise to solve agriculture and climate related challenges.
Be a key member of our API & visualization team, helping build our company website and next-gen UI/visualization fabric.
Explore new methods and technologies to improve user experience and system performance.
Collaborate cross-functionally to deliver on the product vision.
- Knowledge in Object-oriented programming and CS fundamentals (algorithms, data structures)
- Familiar with modern web development concepts
- Proficient in HTML & CSS, comfortable with jQuery
- Experience in building design system and modularized UI library
- Experience in CMS (content management system) design and implementation
- Knowledge of SEO/marketing tools
- 3+ years of industry experience
What We're Looking For:
- The ideal candidate will have built and deployed software services at scale
- Know what it takes to ship high quality code
- A builder of productive and collaborative teams
- A great team player – you have a point of view, and know how to humbly raise it
- Care about user experience and have an eye for good design
- Be open-minded to languages/tools/frameworks to use in order to solve a particular problem. You’re excited to learn something new when the need arises.
- Significant experience in building UI with complicated interactions and animations
- Experience with data visualization tools like D3, highchart
- Background in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with other backend languages (e.g python, Go, C++ ,Java)
- Familiar with SQL/NoSQL database
- Portfolio is a plus
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi and New York City. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.