Internal Application: Software Engineer
Engineering | Nairobi, Kenya | Full Time
Gro Intelligence is changing the way the world understands agriculture. Gro enables data discovery and access to predictive modeling at a scale never possible before. We’re a quickly-growing global team of agriculture, design, and technology lovers who believe that good agricultural data, like any other form of good infrastructure, helps societies thrive.
Our principles are simple: teach, ask, listen and always learn. We are looking for team members that can teach us, listen to what people have to say, ask the tough questions and most importantly be on a constant quest for knowledge.
We are looking for highly-motivated, intellectually curious people who are hungry for personal growth. Successful candidates have versatile talents and are excited to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and constantly evolving entrepreneurial environment. We are hiring a Software Engineer to join our office in Nairobi.
- Develop high quality, high performance software
- Data API design and service implementation
- Data storage architecture and optimization
- Develop computational models to predict various facets of agricultural markets using data related to crop production, weather, environment, consumption, infrastructure, transportation, trade flows, prices, and socioeconomic indicators, amongst others
- Implement sophisticated but easy data visualizations and interactions
- Develop large scale data harvesting and transformation systems
- Very strong computer science fundamentals (data structures and algorithms)
- Bachelor's level degree in computer science, engineering, math or related field; or relevant work experience
- Strong system design experience
- Strong understanding of statistics and mathematics
- Experience with large scale systems, parallel computing, distributed storage
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools (R, MatLab)
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience using RESTful APIs
- Understanding of relational databases and distributed databases (e.g. Postgres, Cassandra, Bigtable)
- Basic knowledge of Node.js
- Graduate degree / Research experience