Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Engineering | Nairobi, Kenya | Full Time
Gro Intelligence is a rapidly growing, mission-driven software company that is creating a more connected and productive global agriculture industry. We are an incredibly diverse team of technologists, scientists, and academics with a shared passion for building software that impacts everyone in the world on the most basic level.
Our products make high quality agricultural data available to everyone, including many of the world’s largest companies and non-government organizations, who rely on our data to understand and predict the availability and price of food on a global basis. We do this by standardizing huge volumes of structured and unstructured data, then transforming it into actionable knowledge for large corporate agribusinesses, financial institutions, consulting firms, and non-profit organizations. With offices in both New York and Nairobi, and the financial backing of prominent investors including TPG Growth and Data Collective, Gro is rapidly building out our team to continue this mission.
We are looking for highly-motivated, intellectually curious people who are hungry for personal growth. Successful candidates have versatile talents and are excited to work in a fast-paced, demanding, and constantly evolving entrepreneurial environment. We are hiring a Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure to join our office in Nairobi.
- Leading the development of high quality, high performance software
- Data API design and service implementation
- Data storage architecture and optimization
- Develop computational models to predict various facets of agricultural markets using data related to crop production, weather, environment, consumption, infrastructure, transportation, trade flows, prices, and socioeconomic indicators, amongst others
- Implement sophisticated but easy data visualizations and interactions
- Develop large scale data harvesting and transformation systems
- Technical leadership experience
- Very strong computer science fundamentals (data structures and algorithms)
- Strong understanding of statistics and mathematics
- Strong system design experience
- Experience with large scale systems, parallel computing, distributed storage
- Bachelor's level degree in computer science, engineering, math or related field; or relevant work experience
- 5+ years software engineering experience
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools (R, MatLab)
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience using RESTful APIs
- Understanding of relational databases and distributed databases (e.g. Postgres, Cassandra, Bigtable)
- Basic knowledge of Node.js
- Graduate degree / Research experience
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.