Senior Quantitative Scientist
Engineering | New York, NY | Full Time
Join the A.I. company tackling some of the most consequential problems facing the world today. Gro Intelligence is a fast-growing, mission-driven data and analytics company dedicated to understanding the interconnected global markets for all agricultural products. From the food we eat to the clothing we wear and the gasoline in millions of cars across the globe, agriculture touches our daily existence like few other industries. And it’s being completely upended by climate change, trade wars, finite global resources, fickle public policies, a growing population and ever-changing human tastes (e.g. organic produce, plant-based proteins, etc). Come help us understand the complex interplay of these various forces and their ripple effect on global markets.
With offices in both New York and Nairobi, and the financial backing of prominent investors including TPG Growth and Data Collective, Gro is a diverse team of more than 70 technologists, scientists, and business professionals. Our team is growing rapidly and we’re looking for highly motivated, intellectually curious individuals with a shared commitment to building software that impacts the world on the most basic level.
Gro has been featured prominently alongside the company’s founder and CEO in several recent outlets including Recode Decode with Kara Swisher, Fast Company’s Most Creative People, Fortune’s Most Powerful Women in Business, and Vanity Fair’s Inside the Hive with Nick Bilton.
Cross-functional role, working with engineering, product, geospatial teams; but also research analysts and biz dev teams. Expectation of leadership and management.
- Quantitative insights - automated analysis & “emergent” agricultural insights/alerts
- Current “Gro insights” are thematic written pieces where content is supported by Gro data. Quantitative insights would be the reverse, data driven and emergent, supported by content. Working with Research Analysts and Geospatial Analysts.
- Next Gen Data Quality Czar
- Gro has basic infrastructure to evaluate coverage and detect some classes of obvious errors. Working with Software Engineers.
- Gro Modeling Eval / Experimental Framework
- Gro makes ML-based forecast models for e.g. agricultural yields of different crops in different regions, drought indexes. Develop a robust framework to evaluate quality of models and predictions.
- Advanced Gro Derived data series
- “Gro Derived” are new data series we create in the product from combinations of data from different sources. For example, combining demographic and food production data to have more actionable data series; or geospatially weighted environmental data, like rainfall average for areas covered by specific crops. Beyond the basic temporal and geospatial combinations, create Gro Derived series based on more advanced stats. Working with Software Engineers.
- Special research projects
- Technical leadership experience
- Very strong understanding of statistics and mathematics
- Strong computer science fundamentals (data structures and algorithms)
- Very proficient in at least one of: Python, Java, C++, R
- Experience with large scale systems, parallel computing, distributed storage
- Bachelor's level degree in computer science, engineering, math or related field
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with statistical modeling tools (R, MatLab)
- Experience with natural language processing (NLP)
- Experience using RESTful APIs
- Graduate degree / Research experience
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.