Sales | New York, NY | Full Time
Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in both Nairobi and New York, Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
Gro Intelligence is looking for an Equity Strategist to harness and translate Gro’s powerful platform of Agriculture, Food, Commodity and Climate data and analytics into equity signals. The role will focus on providing insights developed from non-fundamental data to both the equities investing community as well as to the executives of Gro’s clients in the Agribusiness, Food Retail, Food & Beverage and Input (Seed/Crop protection) sectors.
Specifically, Gro’s Equity Strategist will identify equity-linked patterns and trends in our data and analytics (yield forecasts, climate indices, supply/demand models, commodity prices, pest and disease models), as well as work with our Rapid Response analytics team to create Decision models that apply to Use Cases for investors and corporate managements. The candidate should therefore have an understanding of larger macro themes related to the agricultural supply chain, as well as the links between agricultural events/trends and the equity markets.
This role is ideal for someone with the following background and knowledge:
- 5+ years of relevant asset management experience, either as a Senior Analyst or a Portfolio Manager, covering companies in the agriculture and/or food sectors or;
- 5+ years experience as an Equity Research Analyst in one of the sectors mentioned above or;
- 10+ years experience as an Investor Relations Officer in one of the sectors mentioned above
The candidate should be able to identify what the major levers/drivers are for a company’s earnings model and apply forecasting and metrics to how that would impact the underlying equity price. As an example, you should be able to analyze trends from Gro’s platform on the costs of input prices/margins and apply that to an equity price model framework. Note we are NOT attempting to make buy/sell recommendations of individual securities. You should be ready to leverage the background and training you’ve had while benefiting from a new setting – a fast-growing, unique, mission-based, AI-powered insights company with a culture built on diversity.
The Equity Strategist will work with Gro’s Domain Experts and Sales & Marketing organization to create applications for target audiences.
What You'll Do:
- Leverage Gro’s platform of data and analytics to uncover equity signals
- Provide insights developed from non-fundamental data to both the equities investing community as well as to the executives of Gro’s clients in the Agribusiness, Food Retail, Food & Beverage and Input (Seed/Crop protection) sectors
Examples of data include:
- Planting acreage/yields
- Land suitability (soil, moisture levels, etc.)
- Commodity prices
- Pest & disease models
- Fundamental (supply/demand, Import/export, etc.)
- Identify the major levers / drivers for target company’s earnings and create metrics that can be utilized by investors and corporate management to make key decisions
- Create relevant content that is distributed to Gro users
- Working with Sales, develop relationships with top companies in Gro’s industry verticals and demonstrate how our platform can be integrated into their decision-making processes
- Monitor industry and earnings trends and create corporate events around these trends
- Work with Product Development team to provide customer feedback and enable them to design features and products that fit the needs of our clients
- Maintain extensive knowledge of our products/applications and how they serve our clients’ needs, including features, advantages, benefits and key examples of usage
- Continually work to implement Gro’s corporate culture throughout the organization and in the marketplace
What We're Looking For:
- 5+ years of equity research experience working within buy side, sell side, venture capital, or private equity
- 5+ years of investment experience (Analyst or PM) related to either the Agribusiness, Food Retail, Food & Beverage or Input Companies space
- Domain expertise in one or more of the sectors mentioned above
- Demonstrate ability to understand larger macro themes in relevant industries
- Ability to translate non-fundamental data into equity signals
- Analyst must possess excellent communication skills, written and verbal, and be comfortable interacting with both investment professionals and corporate executives
- Experience with data analysis tools and creating financial models
- Exceptional work ethic
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi and New York City. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.