Sr. Software Engineer
Software Engineering - Platform | Emeryville, CA | Full Time
Are you ready to revolutionize entertainment?
Gracenote is an entertainment data and technology provider powering the world’s top music services, automakers, cable and satellite operators, and consumer electronics companies. At its core, Gracenote helps people find, discover and connect with the entertainment they love. Daily, Gracenote processes 35 billion rows of data and is quickly becoming a world-leader in return path “big data.” Over the past 3 years, the company has grown to more than 2000 employees in 17 countries, including over 600 of the world’s top engineers with a passion for music, video, sports, and entertainment technology. Founded in 1998, Gracenote is one of America’s most iconic and respected media companies.
We are presently looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to join our Big Data team to help ingest and process terabytes of events, build profiles, and provide a personalized media experience.
Minimum Required Skills: Apache Spark, MapReduce, Big Data, Apache Hadoop, Pig or Hive, Java or Scala
If you are an experienced software engineer dreaming about building a big data profiling and personalization platform at scale on a public cloud, and learning how to derive insights from raw data using careful processing techniques, please read on!
We are building next generation company-wide platform for storing, analyzing and profiling user events arriving at the rate of a Twitter fire hose. Due to the company’s unique position we are able to try our technologies on large volumes from the start and keep at the forefront of innovation of how data is being analyzed and monetized.
We are using the latest technologies running on open source big data platforms and deployed on a public cloud. Team is comprised of engineers with experience building profiles, analytics, and big data platforms for leading web consumer and open source companies in the Bay Area.
Top reasons to work for us:
- Significant opportunity to work with all pieces of big data technology stack
- Real influence on entertainment experience of hundreds of millions of people all around the world
- Open culture where fun, collaboration and happiness is key
- Profitable company, plus stability and security of a larger parent company
- Fun activities – we’re in media and entertainment business
- Work environment that promotes work/life balance
What You Will Be Doing:
- Developing an ingestion and processing platform for terabytes of user events using a variety of tools such as Spark, Spark Streaming, Kafka, Hadoop and Elasticsearch
- Build SmartTV and video consumption profiles
- Put into production processing and personalization algorithms that run in various parts of the world on a public cloud
- Build large-scale content graphs from video and music metadata
- Operating and scaling our infrastructure in AWS
- 5+ years experience in Java or Scala development
- 3+ years development with MapReduce, Apache Hadoop, and Apache Spark
- Understanding of data flows, data architecture, ETL and processing of structured and unstructured data
- Ability to work as a part of a team and self-motivated
- BS in computer science, mathematics, or equivalent work experience, Master's preferred
Nice to have skills:
- Python, Ruby, Shell Scripting
- Elasticsearch, Kibana
- S3, EC2 and variety of Amazon Web Services / AWS technologies
- Familiar with data mining concepts, machine learning algorithms and basic statistics
Our passion for music, TV, movies, and sports is at the heart of everything we do. But what really makes us tick is our people. From Emeryville to Sydney and Queensbury to Amsterdam, we are building the team that’s going to disrupt the digital universe. This starts by creating a workplace where all things entertainment are celebrated and innovation can come from anyone. If you are interested in being mission critical and on the leading edge of global entertainment technology then please contact us today!
Gracenote, a Nielsen company, is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.