Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Platform
Software Engineering - Telecom | Emeryville, CA | Full Time
Note that this position can be based in Emeryville, CA or Sunnyvale, CA.
Are you ready to revolutionize entertainment?
Gracenote is an entertainment data and technology provider powering the world’s top music services, automakers, cable and satellite operators, and consumer electronics companies. At its core, Gracenote helps people find, discover and connect with the entertainment they love. Daily, Gracenote processes 35 billion rows of data and is quickly becoming a world-leader in return path “big data.” Over the past 3 years, the company has grown to more than 2000 employees in 17 countries, including over 600 of the world’s top engineers with a passion for music, video, sports, and entertainment technology. Founded in 1998, Gracenote is one of America’s most iconic and respected media companies.
Gracenote is seeking an innovative and experienced hands-on Principal Software Engineer, Big Data Platform to spearhead the identification, design and development of critical software infrastructure components for use in enterprise analytics solutions for the wireless market. This individual will work as a senior member of the Nielsen Mobile Performance (NMP) Platform team to specify, design and develop critical high-performance and scalable platform frameworks and components. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical skills, be proficient in object-oriented analysis and design using Java and grid computing technologies in data mining. If you have successfully scaled applications to work on terabyte/petabyte scale datasets with open source components, we look forward to hearing from you.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Serve as technical lead on medium scale to large scale projects as required. You'll lead the design decisions and act as the lead on the technical aspects of the project
- Design and develop high-performance Platform components architected for re-use
- Identify and evaluate relevant technologies for use in NMP Platform
- Develop software to run in a AWS/Cloud environment
FOR THIS ROLE WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE:
- 8+ years’ experience in software development
- Solid understanding and experience in reusable Java based frameworks effectively leveraging design patterns
- Experience in the design and development of large-scale data processing systems using Hadoop/MapReduce APIs
- Knowledge of Functional programming languages like Scala is a plus
- Experience in designing high performance Messaging systems
- Experience in developing XML generation/parsing code
- Experience with any IOT frameworks and/or server-less frameworks like AWS Lambda is a plus
- Experience in developing JDBC/Database access code
- Understanding of common data analysis patterns and statistical inference techniques
- Demonstrated interest and capacity to stay apprised of technology trends and resourcefulness in effectively applying them to solutions
- Experience in data visualization and data integration into external applications is a plus
- Experience in the complete software development lifecycle
- Strong analytical skills with attention to details
- Desire and aptitude to learn new technologies such as wireless communications, shared-nothing architectures, peta-scale datasets, etc.
- Experienced and committed to delivering high-quality components using industry best-practices (e.g. test-driven development, continuous integration, code inspections, etc.)
- Experience with hosted environments and the ability to effectively resolve operational issues
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, or related technical discipline; additional education/training a plus.
Gracenote, a Nielsen company, is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.