Music Content Editor, Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B Specialist
Content- Music | Emeryville, CA | Full Time
Are you ready to revolutionize entertainment?
Gracenote is an entertainment data and technology provider powering the world’s top music services, automakers, cable and satellite operators, and consumer electronics companies. At its core, Gracenote helps people find, discover and connect with the entertainment they love. Daily, Gracenote processes 35 billion rows of data and is quickly becoming a world-leader in return path “big data.” Over the past 3 years, the company has grown to more than 2000 employees in 17 countries, including over 600 of the world’s top engineers with a passion for music, video, sports, and entertainment technology. Founded in 1998, Gracenote is one of America’s most iconic and respected media companies.
We are looking for a Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B music expert to provide metadata support for our music entertainment products. This position is located in Emeryville, and the specialist will be joining our Music Editorial team, a part of our Content Operation. Gracenote’s Music Editorial team is made up of music experts with a deep knowledge of specialized music trends and genres.
Do you know your Cloud Rap from your Trap? Your East Coast from your West Coast? Your Quiet Storm from your Smooth Soul? Gracenote is looking for a content/metadata editor with encyclopedic knowledge of Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B music. Applicants must demonstrate a broad and deep understanding of the history of Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B, as well as firm mastery of current trends and subgenres in this space.
Please note: Cover letters describing your knowledge of Hip Hop and R&B are required for consideration.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B with demonstrated expertise in one or more major genres, including detailed subgenres
- Excellent writing, copy-editing, and verbal communication skills
- Basic understanding of the current state of the digital music industry
- BA/BS degree in relevant field, or equivalent related experience
- Ability to review, navigate, and compare large amounts of information from multiple information sources in a rapid manner
- Detail-oriented with good judgment, critical thinking, and a strong capacity for spotting trends and/or anomalies
- Familiarity with data-standardization policies and techniques, styles guides, and/or normalization routines
- Ability to work independently, without direct supervision, surfacing problems or issues as necessary
- Excellent and in-depth internet research skills
- Experience working with large amounts of data
- High computer literacy
Good to haves
- 1-3 years of experience in music metadata, music technology, music retail, music industry or related media industry job
- Experience with databases and other technological infrastructure is a plus
- SQL is a plus
- Review, correct and classify music-related metadata elements according to established standards and practices
- Follow reports and worklists to ensure that album and artist metadata are of highest quality
- Learn and master internal Gracenote tools, technologies, data standards, and processes
- Communicate issues and resolutions clearly and concisely, escalating problems as needed
- Keep abreast of the Rap/Hip-Hop and R&B music market and popular platforms that people use to access and discover music for these genres
Our passion for music, TV, movies, and sports is at the heart of everything we do. But what really makes us tick is our people. From Emeryville to Sydney and Queensbury to Amsterdam, we are building the team that’s going to disrupt the digital universe. This starts by creating a workplace where all things entertainment are celebrated and innovation can come from anyone. If you are interested in being mission critical and on the leading edge of global entertainment technology then please contact us today!
Gracenote, a Nielsen company, is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.