Internal Application: Controller
Accounting / Finance | Buenos Aires, Argentina | Full Time
Connecting You With Entertainment You Love:
Gracenote is the world’s leading entertainment data and technology company. We power the top music services, consumer electronics companies, automakers, media companies and cable and satellite operators on the planet. At its core, Gracenote helps connect people with the entertainment they love most.
We do this by:
- Global Database: Creating, collecting and organizing detailed information about TV shows, sports, movies and music
- Best-in-Class Experience: Building best-in-class services and technologies to make TV, sports, movies and music more accessible to and discoverable by fans.
- Highly Scalable Platform: All on a highly scalable platform that serves billions every month.
We touch the lives of hundreds of millions of people everyday through big names like Apple, Hathway, Eurosport and Tesla, as well as some of the hottest new startups. Our data and technology helps fans discover new bands to fall in love with, find TV shows and characters to cheer for and hate, and jam to the most epic playlists on the open road.
Gracenote was recently acquired by Nielsen and regional organizations and strategies are evolving with a renewed focus on empowering local teams of regional businesses. Underpinning this initiative, is an increased focus on accountability and ownership of the local finance team and a challenge to act as true business partners.
In support of this, Gracenote is announcing the creation of two local Controller positions to partner with Business unit leaders and act as the financial head of each region reporting to a Senior Director in the United States. The local Controller will act as a strategic business partner with the business unit leaders and the corporate team to improve financial acumen, accuracy, and be the subject matter expert in local accounting and finance matters.
This opportunity will appeal to an accomplished, hands on, business savvy, and strategic Controller with strong local accounting knowledge, accounting systems integration experience, experience working for an international corporation, and a track record of success driving business performance through the alignment of operational and corporate objectives.
Reporting to the Senior Director Finance in the United States, the local Controller will work with the Senior Director Finance, operational leaders, and technology resources to first identify local office finance needs, establish processes, implement processes, and oversee local finance operations. After stabilizing critical finance functions, responsibilities will also include developing budgets and forecasts to support the corporate business plan. Working as the regional finance lead, the incumbent will provide financial analysis, interpretation and metrics to facilitate strategic decision making related to the management of the regional business. The successful incumbent will allocate the majority of his/her time to regional accounting responsibilities, but will also work collaboratively with the corporate office in the United States.
- Determine financial and accounting procedures needed in each regional office
- Propose proper processes and gain support from all stakeholders
- Implement, own, and manage processes established
- Direct and manage the financial affairs of the region, including liaising with senior management, the Company’s auditors and external advisors
- Enforce legal entities are compliant with all US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and local tax, accounting and financial regulations, required by local country legislation
- Responsible for the preparation of financial related information required by government and regulatory agencies for external financial reporting
- Oversee regional financial reporting, financial analysis and maintenance of internal controls
- Ensure the integrity of financial controls and related risk management systems of the Company
- Ensure the financial information contained in regulatory filings and other public disclosures is fairly and accurately presented
- Lead the regional budgeting and forecasting process including goal setting, monthly variance analysis and peer group metrics for the region. Provide measurement against goals for a timely and sophisticated valuation of performance
- Work collaboratively with the corporate finance team (including Treasury, Corporate Development, Strategy, IT, Tax, Payroll, Investor Relations and Accounting departments) to ensure consistent strategic direction and successful execution of corporate initiatives
- Provide financial acumen and business leadership to help local managers run their operations as “businesses”, generating adequate returns
- Act as a strategic partner to local business leaders
- Provide proactive strategic thinking and solutions to issues related to the business and business plan optimization
- Occasional travel to the United States may be required for meetings with corporate finance staff
Year One Critical Success Factors:
- Evaluate and understand relationship with accounting professional services vendor
- Determine areas needing improvement with respect to local financial procedures and needs
- Propose and gain buy in for improvement plans
- Execute and implement plans for processes and procedures while working with all stakeholders
- Assess relationship with accounting and finance service providers and fit within Nielsen’s global finance and accounting standard practices - ensure continued adherence to corporate accounting standards
- Successfully execute on continued integration with Nielsen’s financial and accounting processes and systems
- Build strong rapport and credibility with Senior Director Finance in order to be viewed as a strategic partner to the business
- Similarly, build strong rapport and credibility with the region’s business leaders in order to help them run their operations as “businesses”
- Successfully integrate with the Corporate finance and leadership teams
Professional Experience / Qualifications:
Gracenote seeks a highly regarded accounting and finance leader, who exhibits an outstanding record of professional accomplishment. The successful candidate will display a strong history of experience accounting. The individual will also have financial and operational analysis experience to develop tools to assist operations and senior leadership in driving growth and profitability. This individual should have a strong understanding of operational accounting as well as finance.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
Experience and Technical Skills
- Significant hands on accounting experience in the region as well as in a large global organization are preferred.
- Demonstrated success participating in accounting and finance process and systems integrations.
- Development of value-enhancing strategies for growth and improvement in business performance.
- Sound critical thinking and exceptional analytical skills at both strategic and financial levels.
- Demonstrated success working with a remote leadership team; high sense of ownership of local accounting and financial processes.
- Expert working knowledge of operational accounting (revenue, reserves, accruals, payables, receivable, and treasury).
- Advanced experience with SAP or Oracle financial applications
Professional and Personal Characteristics
- Demonstrated initiative to do more than is expected or required in the position with the desire and capability to progress with the organization.
- Strong ability to work with diverse cultures with a demonstrated awareness of differences in international business environments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; a good listener; articulate, comfortable working remote from leaders.
- Exhibits a sense of urgency; self-motivated, results oriented and a disciplined do-er with high energy and stamina; thrives in a fast-paced, change oriented environment.
- Fluency in local language and English.
Degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA preferred.
****PLEASE NOTE, WE ARE ONLY CONSIDERING RESUMES WRITTEN IN ENGLISH****
Gracenote, a Nielsen company, is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.