Executive Sous Chef / General Manager
Kitchen | New Orleans, LA | Full Time
At Gourmet Gorilla™we strive for a sustainable future for children by providing local and organic school meals and healthier eating options to schools. We are committed to working with community partners to provide solid nutrition for children to help them learn and grow. Building alliances between local farms, urban agriculturalists, dietitians, nutritionists, talented chefs, and organic food manufacturers, we are able to provide quality ingredients as well as links to educational resources on healthy food curriculum, the value of local and organic foods, garden projects, and ecological awareness.
We are building a team of professionals who care about food and where it comes from; who choose to work in a nurturing environment where all individuals are respected and coached to grow. We value creativity, diversity, breadth of knowledge, and a desire to enjoy our profession.
The Executive Chef/ General Manager is responsible for ensuring that a wide range of daily functions and activities related to client experience and operations are met. This position will be very dynamic and requires collaboration with every department in the company. This individual will also be responsible for the overall management of the on-site production kitchen and will oversee logistics and school relationship teams assisting with daily communication between the schools in their dedicated area.
In addition, this individual is someone who is ready, willing and able to pitch in at any level, where needed, to ensure the success of the operation. You should have a strong moral character, with a willingness and appreciation for open dialogue and transparency managing challenges with energy, balance, and perseverance. An ability to facilitate and be part of a team is essential. Someone who constantly strives for greatness through problem solving and innovation will find success in this role.
General Job Description:
The General Manager ensures excellent service to students, schools, and Gourmet Gorilla. This team member is responsible for the following:
- Launching our New Orleans school account with a farm to school menu, scratch cooking, and managing the day to day operations
- Driving operational directives which include helping to ensure meal programs remain on budget through managing school food waste, production labor budgets, ordering at the school level, server management, and participation
- Interacting with school leaders and school relationship managers to support the success of on-site teams at schools
- Helping promote the Gourmet Gorilla brand and mission in schools through community and school events
- Help troubleshoot logistical and menu questions
- Collaborate with our dietian team on menu design.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct account, kitchen, and logistics teams in their efforts to manage the overall school meal experience, school-based staff, inventory, production, and packaging
- Work with school relationship managers on implementing special projects and promotions to increase participation at regional schools
- Provide regulatory and quality control support to the operations as it relates to meal production
- Improve and innovate processes and systems to reduce costs using lean process strategies and techniques
- Help identify successful and cost-effective meal items, as well as help, manage appropriate staffing levels
- Maintain updated records of invoices , production record, and healthy department
- Lead the development of an onsite HACCP plan
- Provide key leadership role within the organization
- 5+ years relevant experience in a mangement leve culinaryl role. Experience assessing, coaching, motivate, discipline staff to meet goals.
- Specialized training in school foodservice management and nutrition is highly desirable. Understanding of state nutrition requirements for multiple states and interaction with state audit representatives for compliance.
- Strong communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills: both orally and in writing.
- Able to work well with others and participate as part of a team, respectful.
- Able to multitask in a professional, respectful manner with keen attention to detail.
- Basic math skills addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft Office Programs, online database programs
- Prioritizing daily, weekly and monthly responsibilities
- Project management
- Food handler certification
- Committed to the mission that all children will have access to nutritious, tasty food to support the development of healthy minds and bodies while supporting the local sustainable food community.
- Bi-lingual a plus but not required. Ability to read, write and speak English is required.
- Knowledge/Interest in local food system development, sustainability, urban agriculture, organics.
- Customer service focused, ability to visit school sites for day trips to check on compliance, food quality, customers concerns, nutrition training for children, parents, and school administrators
- Strong and positive communicator and problem-solving abilities.
- Have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Be self-motivated and self-directed with a strong company focus
To apply, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter.