Big Data Engineer
Software Development | Wilmington, DE | Full Time
At Globant (www.globant.com) we strive daily to deliver powerful innovative software solutions for our clients through our unique Digital Journey approach. Our passion for technology reverberates in every area of our organization and drives our creativity. Working for us means being at the convergence of engineering, design, innovation and scale. It means being part of a tightly knit and driven team whose work directly affects the products and bottom line of our clients.
All of our engineers are backed up by our Technical Directors and Studios (centers of excellence), and our project team(s) of amazing “Globers”. Each team, while having their own personality, are part of the global tapestry that makes up our powerful culture of collaboration, agility and impact.
We look at the software development process from the three different but complementary perspectives of engineering, design, and innovation...in a constant quest for new insights. We also believe in showing our people how much we value them, which is why one of the many benefits we offer is a fully paid by company PPO health plan.
Globant is an EOE M/F/D/V. For many positions, relocation is available if needed. Globant does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
As Big Data Engineer you will be responsible for tactical and strategic level activities associated with supporting CCB Big Data Big Data environment. Your mission is to help lead our team of innovators and technologists toward creating next-level solutions that improve the way our business is run. Your deep knowledge of design, analytics, development, coding, testing and application programming will help your team raise their game, meeting your standards, as well as satisfying both business and functional requirements. Your expertise in various technology domains will be counted on to set strategic direction and solve complex and mission critical problems, internally and externally. Your quest to embracing leading-edge technologies and methodologies inspires your team to follow suit. And best of all, you’ll be able to harness massive amounts of brainpower through our global network of technologists from around the world. This role is for a hands-on Big Data Engineer to support the business and work closely with Database/Engineering/Architecture/Risk/Development teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in middle-tier/backend systems development in Java/Linux
- 6+ experience with Unix/Linux/Java scripting
- Experience in Python scripting is a plus
- Big data background with experience designing and implementing large scale systems
- Experience in Hadoop related technologies is a must (HDFS, MapReduce and HBase)
- Working experience with Hadoop, Enterprise Java development, NoSql data platforms (Cassandra), Pub/sub messaging (Kafka, ActiveMQ, JMS, etc), Stream processing (Storm, Hbase, Nifi, Spark Streaming, etc), ETL Processing with tools such as Abinitio, Talend, Informatica, Hive/SQL and Visualization with Tableau/Cognos.
- Experience with NOSQL databases (MongoDB, Cassandra) and data modeling tools like Erwin
- Familiarity with some of the data consumption tools/databases (Hive, Impala, EsGyn, Trifacta, AtScale, etc.) involving HDFS files
- Working experience with Cloud development stacks like OpenStack, CloudStack, VCloud, AWS, EC2 for Hybrid Configurations and Managed Cloud Considerations
- Extensive experience with horizontally scalable and highly available system design and implementation, with focus on performance and resiliency
- Assisting with capacity planning for the environment to scale.
- Extensive experience profiling, debugging, and performance tuning complex distributed systems
- Willingness to commit extra effort to meet deadlines as required on a high profile and business critical project
- A minimum of 10 years work experience within IT
- Big Data Engineer Development/Operational experience in a multi-platform, multi-location, 7x24x365 global environment
- Experience of working with cross-geographic, cross-functional, and cross-lob teams
- Knowledge of best practice in change, problem, incident, configuration and system health management (ITIL)
- 2+ years work experience in Big Data Environment (Hortonworks and Cloudera)
- Willing to take lead and initiative to drive critical projects with little supervision
- A proactive approach to problem solving, taking ownership of issues and having the determination to follow things through.
- The ability to present and absorb complex ideas quickly and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are critical to this role.
- Have an open attitude towards sharing ideas and knowledge.
- Good prioritization and time management.
- Ability to understand both the broad and the detailed picture
- Methodical /thorough /Resilient / persevering
- Great team player
- Self-confident and self-motivated to do the right thing for the customer
- Attitude – enthusiastic, positive, dynamic, energetic.
- Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work within a large team, sometimes under stress, but always under control.
- Be prepared to fully commit outside of normal hours on a 7x24x365 basis.