Database Reliability Engineer
Infrastructure | London, United Kingdom | Full Time
Who we are:
GlobalSign isthe leading provider of trusted identity and security solutions enablingbusinesses, large enterprises, cloud service providers and IoT innovatorsaround the world to secure online communications, manage millions of verifieddigital identities and automate authentication and encryption. Its high-scalePKI and identity and access management (IAM) solutions support the billions ofservices, devices, people and things comprising the Internet of Everything(IoE). The company has offices in the Americas, Europe and Asia.
What we are doing:
In London, GlobalSign is developing its HV identity platform, forming the core of GlobalSign’s current and future products. Written in Golang, our platform is a complex distributed system, exposed in a RESTful fashion and backed by PostgreSQL, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch and dedicated crypto hardware. Designed to scale to the needs of IoE and major cloud deployments, it is capable of issuing billions of identities, with industry leading performance. Built to comply with existing web standards and compliance rules, it is capable of servicing any X509 certificate use case, for both public and private trust.
Who we’re looking for
We have a small InfrastructureEngineering team here in London and are looking for an outstanding DataReliability Engineer with a DevOps mentality to join us, supporting databasesin our Data Centres all over the globe.
You are passionate about squeezing every ounce of performancefrom your databases - as comfortable working with SQL Tables as JSON documents, selecting the right tool for each job and optimizing the configuration and schema for the use-case.
You “automate the heck out of everything” to help yourself and your fellowcolleagues, preventing the need for ever having to work through the sameprocess twice.
You give respectful honest feedback, working constantly to improve yourself and help yourteam-mates, while considering (and accepting where appropriate) alternate,sometimes opposing, opinions.
Maintenanceand ongoing improvement of existing database real-estate, including:
Ensuring thepresence of monitoring and alerting for proactive issue resolution
Scaling andlifecycle management
Workingdirectly with the Engineering team on schema changes to support newfunctionality
Stability andperformance monitoring and management across all layers of the system
Scheduling andperforming updates to ensure the latest security and bug fixes are applied, andnew features are made available
Management ofdata objects throughout the platform, including within message queuing andout-of-band (e.g. logging) systems.
Development of tooling and scripts to automate regular tasks
Working withInfrastructure Team to set up one-touch deployment and centralised managementof database servers.
Researchtechnologies, prototype their use and recommend the optimum solution for agiven problem.
Work with theEngineering team to identify the best tool for each job, ensuring it isdeployed and configured in an optimal and compliant manner.
EnsureDisaster Recover procedures are in place and compliant with agreed RTO and RPOobjectives. Support disaster recovery and business continuity exercises.
Documentationand reporting for reference and compliance.
Datastore technologies we use
The opportunity to govern datastrategy for a leading multinational PKI provider
A friendly and personal workingenvironment
Excellent growth opportunities
CompanyProfitability Bonus Scheme
Employer matched pension contributionsto 5% of salary
4 x Salary Life cover
Cycle to Work Scheme
Employee funded via salary sacrificeBenenden Healthcare cover
Childcare Voucher Scheme
Perkbox GoldCard Discount
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or equivalent experience. Engineering or related discipline highly preferred.
- Substantial experience in a DBA or Database Reliability Engineer position, supporting mission-critical databases in high performant environments, including one or more of the above systems.
- Proven experience of administrating and troubleshooting Linux and/or FreeBSD systems
- In-depth understanding of the concepts and internals of relational databases, and of the different approaches required when using key-value or document-based datastores
- Experience benchmarking, clustering and tuning databases for performance, reliability, high availability and scalability
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools (chef/puppet, foreman, rundeck/ansible).
- A working-level understanding of networking concepts
- Experience working with version control systems
- Strong technical documentation skills, and an understanding of the importance of documentation in a compliance environment.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Experience working in a Data Centre environment is a plus
- Bonus points for PKI experience.
We regret to inform you that only shortlisted candidateswill be notified.