Bilingual Health Information Management Clerk
Gaston Family Health Services | 200 East Second Ave, NC | Full Time
Our ideal candidate will...
Summary of Position
Under the direct supervision of the Health Information Management Supervisor, this position is responsible for timely and accurate administrative support functions including medical records management, scanning, PHI request, and messaging to both clinical and non-clinical staff.
The following minimum qualifications are the minimum and necessary to perform this job adequately. However, any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training which provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities would be acceptable, subject to any legal and/or regulatory requirements:
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to read and understand the English language
- Ability to effectively maintain confidentiality of records and communicate with all levels of personnel
Experience: One year of clerical experience in a medical office setting required. Previous experience working in Medical Records with basic to advanced working knowledge of Privacy laws, HIPAA laws, and Release of Information laws.
Additional required skills: Knowledge of medical office operations. Requires excellent verbal communication skills. Must be able to work with changing priorities. Requires excellent organizational, problem solving and critical thinking skills. Must be able to interact with individuals of all cultures and levels of authority. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality. Must be able to function as part of a team. Must possess initiative. Basic medical terminology required, knowledge can be obtained through formal classes or work experience.
Additional preferred skills: Proficient in use of all computer software utilized in practice, coding experience a plus.
Education: High School Diploma or GED certificate required
- Must be able to interact with individuals of all cultures and levels of authority through telephonic and in-person encounters.
- Must be able to explain policy and procedures to external organizations, patients, and staff
- Must be able to understand and maintain patient confidentiality
- Perform a variety of complex and routine administrative duties, which include, but not limited to, data entry, accounting for medical information disclosures, filing, copying and distributing information.
- In-Depth knowledge of the laws and regulations related to the authorization and disclosure of health information and ability to apply said laws and regulations related to the disclosure of health information such as Privacy Act, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Ability to manage priorities and coordinate work in order to complete duties in an accurate and timely fashion
- Ability to follow-up on pending issues in order to meet required response times
- Ability to research and solve difficult questions related to release of health information in an accurate and timely manner
- Utilize EMR System:
- Update patient records
- Scan documents into patient charts in a timely manner
- Query patient information
- Extract Medical records for PHI request
- Patient Message provider/staff
- Perform other duties as assigned