Behavioral Health Patient Navigator
Behavior Health | Gastonia, NC | Full Time
Our ideal candidate will...Under direct supervision of the Director of Behavioral Health, this person works collaboratively with behavioral health program managers, administrative support, physicians, mid-level providers, behavioral health providers, staff and other health care professionals to provide a medical home and optimize care for patients currently linked or needing linkage to behavioral health services. The behavioral health panel manager is an integral part of the team, and is responsible for the day-to-day prioritization of interventions on a list of required services and coordination efforts for patients within the department. The work of the behavioral health panel manager will by driven by established quality benchmarks including but not limited to UDS, MU, PCMH, and HEDIS. Directs the professional substance abuse/behavioral health care coordination activities specific to GFHS’s SBIRT related alcohol and substance abuse programs; complements the delivery of primary health care services. Directs the provision of support services for alcohol and substance abuse treatment services (including in-house MAT program) at GFHS and within GFHS’s service area. Directs the psychiatric medication management activities at GFHS and within GFHS’s service area.
Minimum Qualifications and required skills: An associate’s degree, bachelor degree preferred in a health and human service field from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Associate level applicant must have minimum of (3) three years of experience and bachelor level applicant must have minimum of (2) two years’ experience in a public health/behavioral health setting.
Education: Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree in public health field.
Additional skills required:
- Experience developing and monitoring healthcare, quality improvement, and efficiency targets
- Experience working with substance abuse population
- Effectively maintain confidentiality of records and communicate with all levels of personnel
- Ability to travel to other GFHS sites
- Knowledge in population health management in the underserved and/or vulnerable population
- Able to communicate and relate well with patients, providers, clinical staff, community at large
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Aptitude and understanding of a QI process methodology and proficiency in EMR/HER documentation and electronic chart review.
- Observes standards set by credentialing board
Key Responsibilities (10-Core)
- Engages in patient-centered approach to providing care to patients and their families, acting as a liaison between patients, clinical teams, clinical operations, patient services, customer care departments, etc.
- Analyze and manage data for assigned panels (ie: run, manage, analyze standard reports related to priority conditions, MU, PCMH, UDS; show rates, cancellations, patient care contacts, as appropriate to determine trends, gaps, process improvement and patient engagement/outcomes
- Conduct a pre-visit panel assessment and remains proactive in driving care team communication related to required service delivery during scheduled behavioral health medication management and Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) program encounters. (ie: huddles, pre-visit planning, recalls, follow ups).
- Supports the management of daily patient schedule, assess availability and triage work-ins- working directly with providers and staff to support and prioritize needs.
- Oversee provider panel to ensure balance, coordinates quality improvement strategies with oversight from Director of Behavioral health and program managers as directed.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local community based resources, alcohol and substance abuse treatment agencies in and around GFHS’s service area
- Manage the facilitated referral process between GFHS and local alcohol and substance abuse treatment agencies and outside Obstetric offices/Health Department offices to ensure ongoing interagency coordination of patients’ treatment services
- Develop, coordinate, facilitate community and group education, group therapeutic processes for patient engaged in GFHS’s alcohol/substance abuse treatment services (including MAT program)
- Completion of paperwork in timely manner, utilizing EHR to maintain shared record keeping, obtaining appropriate releases as clinically appropriate and set forth by federal code of regulations: 42 CFR 42 part 2
- Perform other duties as assigned by Behavioral Health Director