Wetland Specialist II
Site Design | Vernon Hills, IL | Full Time
An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built its reputation on civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking a wetland specialist to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois. The successful candidate must have significant wetland delineation experience and shall have considerable knowledge of natural resource and management, applicable federal, state, and local wetland regulations, wetland mitigation, and naturized stormwater practices.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Conduct wetland delineations and prepare reports independently.
- Provide environmental guidance on projects to all divisions of GHA. Interact with local and federal agencies as necessary to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare and secure construction permits from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or County or local regulatory agencies for Waters of the U.S. or regulatory Wetlands.
- Assist municipal/public clients in planning, designing, constructing, improving, and maintaining facilities; provide guidance with environmental engineering policies, programs, or activities; promote improvements, evaluate compliance and recommend action to secure satisfactory results.
- Collect data and operate GIS computer workstation and prepare GIS maps and exhibits as new data is received.
- Apply professional environmental science competence with specialized knowledge of ecology, chemistry, and biological science.
- Prepare and secure NPDES permits and conduct NPDES inspections as needed.
- Interface with regulatory agencies and municipal clients to provide regulatory guidance to clients. Manage the preparation of environmental compliance audits as required.
- Investigate, measure, evaluate environmental conditions and carrying out relevant research, development, planning, design, advisory, and related engineering/consulting activities.
- Design naturalized stormwater facilities.
Required Education, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or related field;
- Must be a Lake County Certified Wetland Specialist or ability to obtain certification in six months
- Four or more years of experience in the environmental field and experience working with local regulatory agencies. An advanced degree in a relevant environmental field may count toward two years of experience.
- Basic understanding of civil engineering principles.
- Proficient with GIS software.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently with general supervision and as part of a larger team.
- Self-starting, detail-oriented individual, with organizational and interpersonal skills essential.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and strong self-initiative to meet client deadlines.
- Valid Driver’s License.
GHA offers excellent benefit packages that include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing, and Tuition Reimbursement.
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and an E-Verify employer. Minorities, females, disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.