Resident Engineer III - Construction
Construction Division | Chicago, IL | Full Time
Reports to: Division Director or Assistant Division Director
FLSA Code: Exempt straight time overtime
An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built a reputation of civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking an experienced Resident Engineer to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering with a Professional Engineer (PE) license in the State of Illinois, Construction Management, or related field with a minimum of eight years of experience. This position also requires independent work skills and the ability to communicate with GHA staff as well as outside agencies, clients, and the public to achieve approval for designs, analysis and plans, field calls and investigate complaints from the public. This position requires field and office work.
As a Resident Engineer III, you will utilize the company values in all phases of your work. You shall demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills, be a self-starter, be able to carry out assignments with limited oversight in a timely manner, and show competency in the following areas:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
- Lead Resident Engineer and perform engineering and related duties associated with construction inspection/layout of roadway, sewer, and water, and other municipal improvements and commercial developments.
- Knowledge of the requirements of Phase III Construction Engineering as it relates to the process of inspecting construction improvements to ensure contractor work is in compliance with contract plans, specifications, and applicable standards.
- Knowledge of and perform required documentation for Phase III Construction Engineering utilizing State and Tollway guidelines and processes.
- Preparation of reports, contract plans, specifications, construction schedules, and permits for projects.
- Perform computer drafting on projects with AutoCAD and/or Microstation programs.
- Coordinate project assignments with other engineers and technicians within the Division.
- Communicates with project team and clients regarding project issues, holds and attends meetings, as required.
- Responsible for ensuring your team’s task and project schedules and budgets are met.
- Under the guidance of the division director, shall prepare proposal on smaller projects.
- Responsible for maintaining technical knowledge through the completion of various training initiatives; attending seminars, reviewing professional publications, and attending in-house management training.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a Professional Engineer (PE) license in the State of Illinois, Construction Management, or related field.
- Have at least 8 years of experience as a civil engineer performing construction engineering services and at least 4 years as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
- High level of proficiency in complex designs.
- Bentley Microstation/GEOPAK and/or AutoCAD/Civil 3D.
- Valid Driver’s License and registered, insured personal vehicle.
- Must be able to collaborate with other team members and have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
GHA offers excellent benefit packages that include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing and Tuition Reimbursement.
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and an e-Verify employer. Minorities, females, disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.