Resident Engineer II - Construction
Construction and Survey | Vernon Hills, IL | Full Time
Reports to: Division Director or Assistant Division Director
FLSA Code: Exempt w/straight overtime
An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built a reputation of civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking a Resident Engineer to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
This position requires a B.S. in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or related field with a minimum of four years of experience. A Professional Engineer (PE) license in the State of Illinois or the ability to obtain in 6 months if you have a B.S. in Civil Engineering. This position also requires independent work skills and the ability to communicate with GHA staff as well as outside agencies, clients, and the public to achieve approval for designs, analysis and plans, field calls and investigate complaints from the public. This position requires field and office work.
As a Resident Engineer II, you will utilize the company values in all phases of your work. You shall demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills, be a self-starter, be able to carry out assignments with limited oversight in a timely manner, and show competency in the following areas:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
- Perform engineering and related duties associated with construction inspection/layout of roadway, sewer and water, and other municipal improvements and commercial developments.
- An understanding of the requirements of Phase III Construction Engineering as it relates to the process of inspecting construction improvements to ensure contractor work is in compliance with contract plans, specifications, and applicable standards.
- Knowledge of and perform required documentation for Phase III Construction Engineering utilizing State and Tollway guidelines and processes.
- Assist in the preparation of reports, contract plans, specifications, construction schedules, and permits for projects.
- Ability to perform computer drafting on projects with AutoCAD and/or Microstation programs.
- Coordinate project assignments with other engineers and technicians within the Division.
- Communicates with clients regarding project issues and attends meetings.
- Assist in proposal production and implementing marketing initiatives.
- Responsible for maintaining technical knowledge through completion of various training initiatives; attending seminars, reviewing professional publications, and attending in-house management training.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Have at least 4 years of experience as a civil engineering performing construction engineering services and one-year experience as a major contributor, or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
- Bentley Microstation/GEOPAK and/or AutoCAD/Civil 3D.
- Valid Driver’s License and registered, insured personal vehicle.
- Must be able to collaborate with other team members and have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
GHA offers excellent benefit packages that include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing and Tuition Reimbursement. To learn more, please visit us at www.gha-engineers.com or contact Anika Moore, Human Resources Manager at [hidden email].