Civil Engineer I - Municipal
Municipal | Chicago, IL | Full Time
An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built a reputation of civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking a Civil Engineer I to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
This position requires a Professional Engineer Intern (PEI) license in the State of Illinois, or the ability to get it within 6 months. Reporting to the Division Director or Assistant Division Director, this position also requires independent work skills and the ability to communicate with GHA staff as well as outside agencies, clients, and the public to achieve approval for designs, analysis and plans, field calls and investigate complaints from the public. This position requires field and office work.
As a civil engineer, you will be able to utilize the company values in all phases of your work. You will report to the Division Director and shall demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills, be a self-starter, be able to carry out assignments with limited oversight in a timely manner, and show competency in the following areas:
The responsibilities of the position include:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their responsibilities.
- Assist with civil design projects including geometrics, profiles/grading, storm sewer, utility coordination, staging/traffic control plan, bid items, and specifications.
- Assist with construction drawings using Microstation and/or AutoCAD software.
- Perform and document field investigations.
- Visit project sites to assist construction observation duties.
- Work under the supervision and mentoring of civil engineers and designers.
- Work in a team setting with other team members within all divisions of the company.
Required Knowledge, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
- Prior internship experience in civil engineering is a plus, but not required.
- Valid Driver’s License and registered insured personal vehicle.
- Experience with Microstation /GEOPAK and/or AutoCAD/Civil 3D.
- Must be able to collaborate with other team members and have good interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
GHA offers an excellent benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing, remote work available, and Tuition Reimbursement. To learn more, please visit us at www.gha-engineers.com.
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and an E-Verify employer. Minorities, females, disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.