Associate Government Affairs and Political Director
Government & Legal | Washington, DC | Full Time
The Greater Capital Area Association of REALTORS®, one of the largest local REALTOR® associations in the U.S., represents more than 10,000 REALTOR® members from Washington, DC and Montgomery County, MD, as well as industry-related professionals who follow the real estate business. We are the local voice for real estate and we provide the resources for members to succeed. Our work, and the work of our members, is all about relationships. It is our goal to provide outstanding value and exceptional service, delivered with the highest level of professionalism, to our members and communities.
The Associate Government Affairs and Political Director will be responsible for managing and administering Government and Political Affairs related functions for the District of Columbia Association of REALTORS® the Greater Capital Area Association of REALTORS®. The District of Columbia Association of REALTORS® is a state level trade association with approximately 3,000 real estate professional members in the District of Columbia. The Greater Capital Area Association of REALTORS® is a local level trade association with approximately 10,000 members in Montgomery County and the District of Columbia. The position also works with the National Association of REALTORS® and the Maryland REALTORS®.
Duties and Responsibilities
- · Works with the Vice President of Government Affairs/General Counsel and Government Affairs Team members on advocacy efforts based in the District of Columbia with secondary responsibilities in Montgomery County, including maintaining grassroots networks, working with coalition partners and having contact with government officials.
- · Tracks, analyzes and drafts written correspondences, including testimony, on all legislative and regulatory issues of interest to the REALTOR® community in the District of Columbia, with ancillary duties in Montgomery County and Maryland.
- · Provides staff support to DCAR and GCAAR’s Public Policy Committees, including working with Chairs and Vice Chairs to develop agendas, invite speakers and perform certain administrative functions.
- · Works with the Vice President of Government Affairs/General Counsel and other Association Team members to develop and administer DCAR and GCAAR’s fundraising efforts, including working with both DCAR’s Political Association Committee and GCAAR’s Political and Campaign Affairs Committee.
- · Champions REALTOR® Party initiatives, implements Calls for Action, writes grants, encourages participation in National Association of REALTORS® initiatives and uses all resources available to further state and local Government Affairs Team efforts.
- · Performs member services functions on all issues related to Government Affairs and Political Affairs, including background research and tactical assistance.
- · Provides logistical and tactical support for DCAR and GCAAR’s Government Affairs Team’s data management platforms, including analysis and information gathering.
- · Provides certain executive level support to Vice President of Government Affairs/General Counsel on special assignments, including legal research, strategic planning and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years’ experience in governmental and/or political affairs with solid knowledge of the state and local legislatures, political processes and fundraising
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; both verbal and written
- Ability to maintain short-term responsibilities, while executing mid and long range projects
- Ability to work seamlessly with internal staff, external partners, government entities and the community at-large.
- The position will be a registered lobbyist in the District of Columbia.