Payroll and Benefit Specialist
Human Resources | Atlanta, GA | Full Time
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist will provide support to coworkers at all Savannah Distributing locations. Reporting directly to the Director of Human Resources, this role will assist in the operational function and support of the department’s payroll and benefits processes.
- Prepare payroll, adhering to payroll processing schedule and all related payroll reports including tax deposits, 941 quarterly filings, and W-2's and other year-end reports.
- Responsible for performing all facets of time and attendance procedural requirements to include audits of timekeeping data, and resolution of associated issues to include input of required changes.
- Manage the daily operation of the Company’s payroll system; review additions, deletions and changes in payroll information for accuracy.
- Receive and review payroll records ensuring compliance with policies, procedures and regulations; enter payroll into system; process, calculate, and post a variety of payroll actions including wage garnishments, benefits withholding and payroll liability claims; prepare, balance and correct payroll reports.
- Investigate employee questions concerning direct deposit accounts by researching payroll documents and following up with banking institutions.
- Collect and review timesheets for temporary labor and work with agencies to ensure they are sent on-time; resolve any timesheet questions/issues.
- Reconcile 401(K) report to payroll, as well as payroll to benefits billing; serve as liaison between company and benefit vendors, as needed
- Aid independent auditors in their performance of annual audit; answer questions, locate materials, explain procedures and policies as requested.
- Answer inquiries from employees relating to enrollments, plan questions and general procedures;
- Ensure benefit records are accurately maintained and personal employee data is kept confidentially.
- Maintain accurate recordkeeping of personnel files and database records, including conducting data integrity audits.
- Complete, verify, and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits to include health/life/disability insurance, workers compensation, and retirement.
- Participate in special projects and perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Bachelor degree preferred or equivalent experience
5+ years of job-related experience
- Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar experience.
- Three years prior operational experience in payroll/benefits.
- Experience with ADP payroll software preferred
- Strong communication and people skills with the ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels.
- Prior direct experience with US payroll federal, state & local payroll tax requirements
- Ability to manage multiple tasks across multiple facilities and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to process information both timely and accurately.
- Positive attitude and willingness to do what it takes to deliver exceptional results.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and diplomacy when dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and independently as needed.
- Must have computer skills with intermediate level proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Must be able to work in a team-oriented, professional and fast-paced environment. This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Must be able physically to lift the weight of a filled archive box, bend over file cabinets, sit at computer 3-4 hours at a stretch.