CATHOLIC RELIGIOUS EDUCATION COORDINATOR
*Position is Contingent upon Contract Award
Location: Beale AFB, California
The Catholic Religious Education Coordinator tasks:
Education and Experience Requirement:
• Must hold a high school diploma or GED; an Associate of Arts degree in education is preferred
but not required.
• Must hold a Basic Catechist certification or other degree of substantiated coursework in
Theology or religious studies and must be a practicing Catholic in full communion with
the Church and follow AMS RE guidance.
• Must have computer competency in Windows based operating systems and be proficient
with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point software).
• Must be familiar with basic office equipment to include, but not limited to: computer,
fax, multi-function printer, copier, and telephone.
• Must have a working knowledge of the requirements of the Catholic Religion and be
familiar with appropriate RE resources such as books, references materials, resource
videos, magazines, and crafts.
• Be available to attend local and regional RE workshops as needed.
• The chaplain corps staff will provide initial training; however the contractor may be
tasked to provide training to any future assigned personnel.
• Must be able to communicate well both written and orally in English.
• Be able to work within a pluralistic environment and efficiently organize and manage
diverse programs which entails the ability to coordinate and cooperate with other
chaplain Corps faith programs.
• Must be able to maintain a neat, clean, and well-groomed professional appearance and
conduct him or herself in a business-like manner.
• Must submit at least one (1) clergy reference from last position as a Catholic RE
coordinator and a 1-2 page résumé detailing work experience with minimum of two (2)
years with this position in a parish, military chapel, and/or experience working with
children’s programs in a church and/or ministry.
• Must accomplish the terms of this contract in compliance with the mission requirements
and standards set forth and defined by the Department of the Air Force and the Air Force
Chaplain Corps. Activities and behavior to the contrary are viewed as grounds for
• Shall have experience with coordinating, teaching and facilitating Religious Education
events and activities for all ages.
• Must be willing to work with the base Catholic priest or assigned Chaplain to arrange
retreats, Sacramental preparation classes, RCIA as well as adult faith formation
• Be interviewed during the solicitation phase by a Chaplain Corps interview panel
organized by the Contracting Officer Representative or designee, to include the assigned
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan and execute the Catholic RE program. RE is held at Foothills Chapel and other
locations as deemed necessary by the Wing Chaplain or designee for special events as
well as administrative duties as required.
• Create an email/telephone list of all RE class members, Sunday Schools and all Bible
study members. Keep attendance record for all classes and Bible studies.
• Prepare publicity material when events need to be advertised base-wide via email, social
and print media. They are to be discussed and approved by assigned Chaplain/Catholic
Priest and the Wing Chaplain.
• Follow appropriate Chaplain Corps Operating Instructions (OIs) in routing Purchase
Request Forms (PRFs) for curriculum and supplies for all Catholic RE events and
programs. Ensure PRFs for curriculum are approved.
• Review the material listed above and verify it meets the needs of this religious
community and does not denigrate other faith groups."
• Utilize HC’s Shared Drive for all continuity files, Catholic Parish Electronic Database,
After Action Reports, AMS requirements, member registrations and other program
• Develop the RE annual needs assessment, requirements, calendar of events, and budget
as part of annual Airman Ministry Plan (AMP); discussed and approved by assigned
Chaplain/Catholic Priest before submitting to the Wing Chaplain.
• Coordinate and prepare Facility/Activity Requests and submit to the facility manager.
Check Chaplain Corps Organization calendar, Valley/Foothills Facility Calendar at least
weekly to ensure proper planning and de-conflict scheduling when necessary.
• Program startup: perform administrative tasks in advance that are necessary to begin
programs in September (select and order curriculum, reserve facilities, recruit teachers,
publicize, and provide teacher training). Recruitment and approval of teachers and
selection of curriculum shall be discussed with the assigned Chaplain/Catholic Priest.
• Ensure that all volunteers and teachers working with children under the age of eighteen
(18) have a favorable IRC, validated through the Chaplain Corps Background Check.
• Provide Teacher Training sessions prior to start of RE and on a quarterly basis, as
directed by assigned Chaplain/Catholic Priest and the Wing Chaplain or designee.
• Work with the Protestant RE Coordinator concerning VBS. VBS programing begins a
minimum of three (3) months in advance of the event. Advertisement of VBS must occur
four (4) weeks prior to event. Volunteers should be routed for clearance as soon as
• Ensure teacher training for all volunteers, making facility reservations, recruiting
volunteers, ensuring the approved teacher to child ratio, publishing advertisements,
maintaining electronic registration for all children and teachers and other requirements
base on program needs and approved the Lead VBS Chaplain.
• Provide at least one (1) training sessions for VBS teachers.
• Be present for RE each Sunday from September to May and all week during Vacation
Bible School. Hours shall be planned by the Wing Chaplain or designee.
• Work in cooperation with RE volunteer leaders by supporting their work with
administrative tasks such as ordering their curriculum, keeping their phone/emailing lists
up to date, purchasing items needed for classes, and processing paper work needed for
purchases and for facility use. Assistance will also be required to coordinate trips and
advise the assigned Chaplain/Catholic Priest of the needs of the volunteers.
Hours and Performance:
• Must work a maximum of 24 hours per week.