Sr. Automation Hardware Engineer
Engineering | Newark, CA | Full Time | From $150,000.00 to $165,000.00 per year
At FreeWire we fundamentally change the way businesses and utilities electrify. We build battery-based energy storage systems that provide clean and quiet power anywhere it’s needed, reducing the cost and accelerating deployment of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. FreeWire’s solutions are evolving from providing ultrafast EV charging services to a full suite of energy services to accelerate sustainable electrification and provide resiliency to customers and a distributed power source to utilities. FreeWire has secured major strategic investors from Fortune 100 companies and serves leading corporate, utility, and retail customers. The feedback on the Boost Charger, FreeWire’s DC fast charger, has been overwhelmingly positive as we electrify locations that would have been too expensive to power on using conventional charging solutions. Utilities are releasing RFPs with requests for battery backed solutions, their regulatory teams are including our technology as eligible for incentives, and they are seeking cost effective solutions as they electrify their fleets and provide utility owned charging solutions for the public.
FreeWire has deployed battery-integrated chargers with Fortune 100 companies, commercial customers, fleets, retail locations, and gas stations. In addition to its partnership with bp pulse, FreeWire and ampm, a bp subsidiary and convenience store chain with over 1,000 locations, have already deployed multiple public charging stations in the U.S. FreeWire’s regulatory affairs and policy team keeps customers up to date on federal, state, and utility incentive opportunities, which in some cases cover up to 80% of the cost of the charging station, and the company recently announced that the Boost Charger is Buy America compliant. Learn more at www.freewiretech.com and follow us @FreeWireTech.
Sr. Automation Hardware Engineer
This position is located at our HQ in the San Francisco Bay area and the selected candidate is expected to work on-site at this location.
- Under limited direction, provide electrical and controls engineering solutions for complete control system design to include drawing packages, instrument and I/O list development, specification of hardware, instrumentation, and interconnecting components
- Plan, perform, and/or oversee troubleshooting and repair of moderately complex control systems
- Starting with a broadly defined scope, work closely with our hardware and software engineering teams to define requirements for automation control system hardware; refine and manage the system requirement specifications used for control system design
- Develop commissioning test plans for moderately complex systems along with the automation team.
- Provide hands-on engineering support for panel testing, programming, deployment, start-up, and commissioning of control system hardware
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews and preset design materials for the engineering team
- All other duties as assigned
- 7+ years of experience developing hardware interfaces for automated test and control frameworks
- Professional experience in testing with extensive knowledge of Automation Framework Design & Implementation
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of instrumentation and control system automation development and troubleshooting
- Broad experience developing industrial analog and digital circuit design for incorporation into controls/instrumentation hardware
- Proficient understanding of documentation standards including drawings, procedures, statements of work, and test plans
- Comprehensive knowledge of both analog and discrete industrial instrumentation (transmitters, sensors, actuators, controllers), data acquisition, and signal processing/conditioning
- Experience working as a member of a multidisciplinary team, which includes working with software developers, engineers, technicians, and designers
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment to present and explain technical information
FreeWire offers competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog Friendly
We provide compensation packages that include base pay, benefits, and equity, and it is not typical for someone to be hired at the top end of the range for the role. Actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including location, skills, and experience level.
At FreeWire Technologies, we offer fair and equal opportunities to all our candidates and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability status, parental status protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. FreeWire Technologies believes in hiring individuals only based on their qualifications and experiences that meet our business requirements to fill the positions.