Senior System Design Engineer
Engineering | Newark, CA | Full Time
At FreeWire, we fundamentally change the way businesses and utilities electrify. We build battery-based energy storage systems that provide clean and quiet power anywhere it’s needed, reducing the cost and accelerating deployment of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. FreeWire’s solutions are evolving from providing ultrafast EV charging services to a full suite of energy services to accelerate sustainable electrification and provide resiliency to customers and a distributed power source to utilities. FreeWire has secured major strategic investors from Fortune 100 companies and serves leading corporate, utility, and retail customers. The feedback on the Boost Charger, FreeWire’s DC fast charger, has been overwhelmingly positive as we electrify locations that would have been too expensive to power on using conventional charging solutions. Utilities are releasing RFPs with requests for battery backed solutions, their regulatory teams are including our technology as eligible for incentives, and they are seeking cost effective solutions as they electrify their fleets and provide utility owned charging solutions for the public.
FreeWire has deployed battery-integrated chargers with Fortune 100 companies, commercial customers, fleets, retail locations, and gas stations. In addition to its partnership with bp pulse, FreeWire and ampm, a bp subsidiary and convenience store chain with over 1,000 locations, have already deployed multiple public charging stations in the U.S. FreeWire’s regulatory affairs and policy team keeps customers up to date on federal, state, and utility incentive opportunities, which in some cases cover up to 80% of the cost of the charging station, and the company recently announced that the Boost Charger is Buy America compliant. Learn more at www.freewiretech.com and follow us @FreeWireTech.
Senior System Design Engineer
Location: Newark, CA
We are seeking an extremely motivated individual to lead the design and integration of our charging systems. Key attributes will be exceeding expectations, flexibility in performing tasks, a commitment to organization and documentation, and enthusiasm to do what it takes to get the job done.
As a Senior System Design Engineer, you will:
- Design EV charging systems with integrated batteries including architecture, requirements definition, component selection, integration, and test
- Design power distribution systems to carry large currents for fast charging electric vehicles
- Drive product and process improvements
- Bring up and debug systems as required
- Document for, and work with, test functions to support volume production
- Work with a cross-functional team to ensure design objectives are met
- Develop and execute tests for circuit card assemblies, components, and systems
- Create schematics for systems, harnesses, and PCBAs.
- Integrate circuit card assemblies into larger battery and charging systems
Your background and experiences include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to:
- design electronic systems
- select off-the-shelf components
- develop requirements for custom components
- design and integrate multiple electronic systems
- solve problems with curiosity and initiative
- Preferred experiences include:
- large, cabinet-level, complex systems involving hardware and firmware
- battery management systems
- high-voltage and high-power designs
FreeWire offers competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog Friendly
At FreeWire Technologies, we offer fair and equal opportunities to all our candidates and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability status, parental status protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. FreeWire Technologies believes in hiring individuals only based on their qualifications and experiences that meet our business requirements to fill the positions.