Senior Director of Commodities
Supply Chain | Newark, CA | Full Time | From $200,000.00 to $240,000.00 per year
At FreeWire, we fundamentally change the way businesses and utilities electrify. We build battery-based energy storage systems that provide clean and quiet power anywhere it’s needed, reducing the cost and accelerating deployment of electric vehicle charging infrastructure. FreeWire’s solutions are evolving from providing ultrafast EV charging services to a full suite of energy services to accelerate sustainable electrification and provide resiliency to customers and a distributed power source to utilities. FreeWire has secured major strategic investors from Fortune 100 companies and serves leading corporate, utility, and retail customers. The feedback on the Boost Charger, FreeWire’s DC fast charger, has been overwhelmingly positive as we electrify locations that would have been too expensive to power on using conventional charging solutions. Utilities are releasing RFPs with requests for battery backed solutions, their regulatory teams are including our technology as eligible for incentives, and they are seeking cost effective solutions as they electrify their fleets and provide utility owned charging solutions for the public.
FreeWire has deployed battery-integrated chargers with Fortune 100 companies, commercial customers, fleets, retail locations, and gas stations. In addition to its partnership with bp pulse, FreeWire and ampm, a bp subsidiary and convenience store chain with over 1,000 locations, have already deployed multiple public charging stations in the U.S. FreeWire’s regulatory affairs and policy team keeps customers up to date on federal, state, and utility incentive opportunities, which in some cases cover up to 80% of the cost of the charging station, and the company recently announced that the Boost Charger is Buy America compliant. Learn more at www.freewiretech.com and follow us @FreeWireTech.
Senior Director of Commodities
The Senior Director of Commodities will lead a team of highly specialized commodity and materials program professionals to deliver value to the business by maximizing the marketplace, driving year-on-year cost reductions, driving operational efficiency, ensuring continuity of supply, and managing risk. This leadership role will be key to FreeWire building sustainable growth.
This role will be responsible for sourcing new products and production parts, establishing strategic partnership and contracts, as well as developing and enhancing the team’s commodity management and sourcing skills.
The Senior Director of Commodities will lead the Commodity Management Teams, providing FreeWire with a central point of contact for both internal and external parties that affect development and manufacturing, and will provide guidance and leadership to achieve the best cost, delivery, quality, service, and reliability in the industry.
- Lead Commodity Management Team to develop commodity strategies that will ensure year-on-year cost reductions and minimize supply risk
- Lead and drive strategic sourcing goals to ensure quality, continuity of supply, and cost minimization
- Maximize leverage in the marketplace through supplier relationship management, market intelligence, and innovation
- Develop, establish, and lead strategic agreements with key suppliers
- Manage and track contractual terms to ensure adherence
- Monitor and report materials quarterly cost reductions
- Ensure key suppliers receive a periodic forecast of future demand
- Lead and drive commodity and engineering alternated sourcing initiatives
- Provide leadership and support to the team on advance developments, Design for Manufacturing reviews, continuous improvements, discussions, and problem resolution
- Lead and conduct innovations forums with suppliers and the Engineering team to ensure FreeWire is accessing the latest innovation that the market has to offer
- Develop Key Supplier technology roadmaps
- Identify process inefficiencies and lead the commodity team in related projects for continuous improvements
- Maintain in-depth understanding of suppliers’ capabilities, capacity, and overall financial stability
- Continuously evaluate and assess suppliers’ performance to ensure that the agreed supply requirements are consistently reported and complied with in key areas such as quality, service, and delivery targets
- Provide periodic updates and commodity/sourcing key performance measurements to management
- Provide commodity roadmap and monthly commodity updates to leadership team
- Effectively lead a team, including making personnel decisions (such as hiring, performance management, coaching/counseling, termination, etc.) and steering the team to achieve expected results
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and/or CIP qualified
- Minimum 10 years’ leadership management experience and proven record for developing team members
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in supply chain, strategic sourcing (preferably in related industry), and procurement roles
- Ability to work cross functionally and in a high-pressure environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Experience in presenting and preparing PowerPoint presentations to senior leadership.
- Demonstrable track record of delivering extensive bottom-line benefits
- Exposure to complex manufacturing build with extensive number of parts to procure
- Ability to analyze data
- Microsoft Office – Excel, PowerPoint, & Word
- Vlookup, Pivot Tables
- Ability to interpret or understand mechanical design drawings and specifications
- Travel: 30%
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Business, or Finance highly preferred
- MBA and/or CIPs
- Experience in the EV or Motor Vehicle sector
- Global Sourcing experience
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and may be subject to changes or amendments to meet the evolving needs of the company. Thus, this position may include responsibilities or duties not specifically stated, but which may be deemed necessary.
FreeWire offers competitive benefits, including:
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Dog Friendly
We provide compensation packages that include base pay, benefits, and equity, and it is not typical for someone to be hired at the top end of the range for the role. Actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including location, skills, and experience level.
At FreeWire Technologies, we offer fair and equal opportunities to all our candidates and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability status, parental status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. FreeWire Technologies believes in hiring individuals only based on their qualifications and experiences that meet our business requirements to fill the positions.