Product | New York, NY
We're a small but highly ambitious technology company, and we’re executing on an overflowing product roadmap faster than any startup out there. Foursquare launched in 2009, grew 3400% in 2010, passed a billion check-ins in 2011, and we're just getting started. We have a fast-growing community of 15+ million users that check in millions of times each day and rely on us to help them decide where to go and what to do next. We’re also helping half a million registered businesses ranging from local merchants to global brands connect with their customers. We're right in the center of a huge opportunity in a quickly-evolving market, and need your smarts to create the best service possible.
To thrive as a member of team foursquare, you must embrace our exciting work-hard, play-hard environment. We're a closely-knit team and, especially at the end of a long day over beers, we feel like we're inventing the future together.
About the role:
Foursquare is seeking a passionate, curious, creative, and thoughtful user experience designer to join our Product team. We believe we're fundamentally changing the way people experience the world around them and we want someone who's dying to play a huge role in designing and defining these new experiences.
The perfect candidate is fluent in current UX best practices and knows exactly when to throw them out the window and blaze a new trail. You’re flexible, playful and as confident as you are skeptical. You know how to look at a nasty problem and efficiently unpack it into manageable parts. You're someone who always notices the tiny details and dies a little bit inside when you see artifacts in the world with thoughtless interaction design. You're intimately familiar with our industry and our product and you know exactly how you'd like to make it better.
We work as a tight cross-disciplinary team here so you need feel comfortable working closely with Engineering and Business Development as well as your fellow Product team members.
This job will be based in our headquarters in the SoHo, New York City. We offer a competitive compensation package including equity options for all employees.
- Create the right documentation for the task at hand, ranging from a sketch on a piece of paper or a whiteboard to an annotated wireframe that a developer can run with
- Be able to easily pivot between high level product discussions and the low level implications of those discussions
- Help establish and reinforce consistent interaction design patterns across platforms
- Work closely with our product managers, designers and engineers to define the best way to approach a problem
- Know how to ask the right questions
- 5+ years designing experiences across multiple platforms
- A portfolio that includes self-started personal projects for which you had total creative control. It could be an app, website, blog but it should be something where you were able to realize your vision
- A genuine understanding of the location-based services space
- Ability to empathize with a variety of different kinds of users
- Functional understanding of the technology that makes what we do possible
- Passion and ideas about where the foursquare product can go
- Bonus: be comfortable executing the visual side of interaction design in a pinch